5 speed linkage setup

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

5 speed linkage setup

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hi all.

For the first time in three years today I drove my van to the petrol station, 300 yards down the road. In that time I was able to deduce that finding 2nd and 3rd gear was a bit hit and miss on my fully rebuilt linkage and gearstick.
I did adjust it a while ago and it felt ok not moving. Was a pig to do though. Thought I had nailed it as gears with engine off felt slick but when I went to move off I had no reverse so had to redo. Obviously a bit different now whilst actually driving. Going from 1st to 2nd feels a bit pot luck whether it's in. 2nd to 3rd is ok. 3rd back to second doesn't happen sometimes and I end up slowing down so much tat I go back to 2nd.
I want to do my first long run in it this weekend around the TT course so really want anyone's ideas, tips, time taken to get this right.
I know it will never feel amazing but I know it could feel more positive on shifting. I also have a short shift kit to fit. Will this hinder the linkage setup?

Thanks all :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: 5 speed linkage setup

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Hi,
The short shift kit will not hinder the changing but you need to set it up correctly.
The Wiki has a lot of info about setting up the linkage you might be able to find what you need there - http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... _adjustmen

I see that you are in Peel, I grew up in/on the IoM - we called Peel Deadwood Gulch.
I have many memories of fishing from the breakwater.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Thanks Titus. I am just looking at the breakwater as I type. Live on Peveril Terrace overlooking Peel bay. Love this place. I am from a 2 up 2 down in Liverpool. Never thought I'd have this view :D
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

:ok :ok
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

In the ten or so years I have had my 2.1 WBX with it's five speed box I have occasionally run into trouble changing up and down between second and third where I seem to find myself in a kind of no mans land. This seems to happen when I - or perhaps the box - am/is starting to get tired. It is not helped by the fact that my main transport a Focus, has the more standard shift gating i.e. first at top left.
I did think at one stage of fitting a short shift kit but as an engineer had the idea in my head that changing the velocity ratio in this way would increase required input force. Although I got to admit I have never really got into sussing out why I have this difficulty.

As an aside in the days of B&W 405 line TV and trouser turn ups I did have a three speed Ford Thames Consul engined camper conversion in which I could somehow find one column lever position which completely locked the rear wheels :shock:
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Ecopod
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Ecopod »

Probably already done this but just in case. I posted last week re my 5 speed set up after fitting the linkage. Up front it all felt good and stick seemed to be selecting gears well however I couldn't get reverse and 2nd was a lottery. The advice from here that worked for me was loosing off the pinch bolt and rotating rear rod, tried anti clockwise first but no better, turned it clockwise and now have all six gears working well. Saved a lot of time setting up front end again.
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG
4 speed / twin slider bus
Never forget you're unique - just like everyone else

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Thanks guys. Will give it a go...hope my box isn't on the way out.