Engine Hatch Access

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ecopod
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine Hatch Access

Post by Ecopod »

Good afternoon,

Project is coming along fine (not super well but definitely fine) and measuring up frame for sitting 215Kg pizza oven on. There is no way around, that I can think of, securing frame to either side of engine hatch. What sort of access will I need to engine hatch in terms of height, I'm guessing around 35cm for reaching in and checking plugs/leaks/fan belt/dizzy etc etc but have I missed anything. For bigger jobs I'd plan on dropping engine out back as I've got quite a bit of practice at that recently.

Any suggestions welcome, or alternate frame ideas, or anything really!
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG
4 speed / twin slider bus
Never forget you're unique - just like everyone else

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: Engine Hatch Access

Post by bigbadbob76 »

35cm doesn't seem like much to get your head in and see things like the coolant level in the tank which you want to check regularly.
Could you have the oven on sliding rails so you can lift the hatch for a proper look?
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

Ecopod wrote:Good afternoon,

Project is coming along fine (not super well but definitely fine) and measuring up frame for sitting 215Kg pizza oven on. There is no way around, that I can think of, securing frame to either side of engine hatch. What sort of access will I need to engine hatch in terms of height, I'm guessing around 35cm for reaching in and checking plugs/leaks/fan belt/dizzy etc etc but have I missed anything. For bigger jobs I'd plan on dropping engine out back as I've got quite a bit of practice at that recently.

Any suggestions welcome, or alternate frame ideas, or anything really!

215Kg pizza oven on- What are you a travelling Domino's or something?!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Make a trailer out of the rear end of a T3 and put your oven in that.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Cheers for replies. Liking the sliding rail idea and will chat through with local fabricators (way beyond my welding skills), even if it was another frame oven could slide onto that would work. I'll take pics on the off chance anyone is interested, oven should arrive in 3 weeks. May look at uprated springs.

I set up a couple of blocks with a board on top to see what I need and 35/40cm seemed okay to get my head in and check levels etc for routine stuff.

I run one of those old french vans you're legally obliged to turn into a coffee/burger van and I often get asked for pizza when I'm out and about or when someone makes contact re booking. As I had the T25 sitting I though why not do the obvious thing.

Also like the trailer but may fill that with beer kegs and a couple of taps - who wouldn't want pizza & beer.
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG

Swebby
80-90 Mem No: 16589

Post by Swebby »

Ecopod wrote: who wouldn't want pizza & beer.

I was going to sit down to a cheese sandwich but the thoughts of pizza and beer have me yearning for that instead!

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
1987 1.9 DG pop-top

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I have a few ideas in my head but it depends on what you are planning for the rest of the inside.

That's a fair amout of weigh over what is already the heaviest part of the van.
You'll need uprated shocks and springs as minimum.

A sliding rail system with drop down legs is probably worth looking at, that way you could deploy the oven and drive the bus away from it.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Restless night dreaming of that bloody trailer above!

Hope you got your pizza and beer Swebby.

Inside of van will contain pizza oven, two fridges, one chilled pizza prep station, stainless table top, hand wash unit, two pour over coffee jugs, Victron inverter/charger and one/two 220Ah batteries (depending on run time tests). Floor will be marine ply with non slip flooring and rubber mat over engine bay area, vinyl side panels and very little else (cab is normal). Light supplies will sit over cab area, briquettes beside oven at rear.

I'm going to keep oven in the van, this is based on the fact I work through winter at rugby/football and I'm never convinced when I see other out the back/side of their van when it's raining/muddy etc, I prefer everything inside.

Liking the rail and drop down leg combo (slide into passenger area for engine access when needed/I can break flue where single wall joins twin wall) and will put together drawings tomorrow, lots of measuring to do today.
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG