Breather tower

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Breather tower

Post by sarahandthebear »

After the other day when we found oil in our air filter we have been thinking of replacement engines. But I have been trying to figure out if there is any way to fix our current 1.9 petrol dg. I have been thinking about the breather tower and breather hose which I read somewhere can collapse meaning oil can push its way into the air filter or the tower can get clogged up with muck. So my thought was could I take it off and clean the tower and hose and maybe just maybe fix the problem. It may also explain why we seem to have oil leaking everywhere as maybe the crank case pressure is building up because of the blockage or am I just pulling on straws here. I removed the carb top yeasterday and there was oil inside on top of the carb. I’m also thinking that if it is a gonna me messing around in there can’t make it any worse :rofl
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Re: Breather tower

Post by tforturton »

Firstly, check the oil and coolant for traces of contamination. If there's an internal leak (ie. a seal gone) then you should be able to see oil on the surface of the coolant, and white gunk (like mayonnaise) on the oil filler cap. If not, then it LOOKS like your seals are okay.
This means the oil is either leaking out, or is being forced out by engine pressure. If it's getting into the air filter via the breather tube, then it sounds like the latter, but it might not be a failure, it could be just an owner maintenance issue.
Big questions -
1. Have you overfilled your engine oil? (Think about it. You may have been topping it up regularly - and it's hard to keep track).
2. What oil did you use?
This is what caused my problem - overfilling with the wrong oil. Modern oil that's too thin.

To be honest, if your engine is forcing oil out, then we're likely into piston ring issues, but I'm no expert.
Judging by your posts, you seem to be jumping from one suggestion to another, clutching at straws. I suggest you get this engine/vehicle to someone who knows about them. Do you have a friendly local classic VW garage?
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

if you have failed rings it leads to extra pressure in the crankcase and can push oil out down valve guides to be burnt or up the breather into carb.

You can take the pipe off between the carb inlet and brather tower

purchase a lenghth of 19mm silicone tube and use a small bit with a plug in the end to blank off the carb inlet, and anoher longer piece to attach to the oil brather and off into a catch tank somewhere, an old drinks bottle or can can be used as a catch tank.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-13mm-16 ... 53ee2469b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can see the 19mm silcone hose here I used it to add a new PCV but you want it to direct the crankcase breather away from the carb into a catch tank. The catch tank need monitoring regularly to see whats in there

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 5#p8209255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as said overfilling is the biggest cause.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

sarahandthebear

We have been using Titan oil 15w 40 from brickworks as for the overfilling we have been filling up regularly as we have developed a number of oil leaks another reason I think it’s the crank case pressure. I’m always careful when filling up but there is a possibility I overfilled. I’m definitely clutching at straws here but I’m thinking it’s the pressure in the crank case and the seals. Our VW expert seems to think the same over the phone he says it’s a new engine time this one starts first time though and runs like a dream so it’s a shame it also looks like we have some oil coming out the exhaust so something is going on in there

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

try the catch tank and blanking off the carb connection, the catch tank should be vented to air so you stop pressure build up.
excess crankcase pressure will push oil past valves and it may mean your exhaust gets oily, it will need fixing but you may be able to get a bit longer out of it.

do you get any clouds of smoke when driving?

Don't just blindly follow an 'expert'
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Highroller
80-90 Mem No: 12833

Post by Highroller »

If you think you have overfilled the system then it may be wise to drain off the oil to see by how much and refill with the correct amount.
1991 2.1 WBX Devon microbus twinslider hightop

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

Check the dipstick?
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

sarahandthebear

Yeah dipstick fine below top so not over full we will do that method itchy plus absolutely no black smoke at all the engine seems to run beautiful and starts first try

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

sarahandthebear wrote:Yeah dipstick fine below top so not over full we will do that method itchy plus absolutely no black smoke at all the engine seems to run beautiful and starts first try

so it's not f¥c£ed then
probably needs work but not all doom and gloom

mechanics want to work on these engines so tell you to replace makes their job easier.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I had exactly the same problem regards excess crancase pressure, it ran fine but oil consumption was high and smoked on the over run. I did exactly as Itchyfeet advises and disconnected the breather pipe from the filter, into a catch tank and booked it in to Campershack.

Following a full diagnostic checkover It was narrowed down to a single cylinder with suspect broken rings. Three cylinders had good compression and oil pressure was very good. Piston, liner and con rod were all replaced with engine in situ. Get it checked by someone who is familiar with these engines as you may not need a new engine if it runs well. The repair cost was much less than a re-con engine and my van runs and sounds like new......
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

My 2.1 DJ WBX doesn't seem to have much oil around the valve side aspiration plumbing although the for instance the air control valve etc, does have some evidence of oil wetness inside . The engine uses virtually no oil at all but if I top it up to the full mark on the dipstick it doesn't take long for it to drop down to the halfway mark where for all intents and purposes it seems to remain almost indefinitely. In my case I am guessing that above the half way mark there is sufficient agitation or frothing for oil/oil vapour to be consumed in the combustion process. Although I have never seen smoke. This has been the situation for the plus ten years I have had the van. I do believe that the flat four layout would be more sensitive to overfilling with oil than an in-line vertical job.
Given that the plugs are not getting oiled etc, then you might like to try running it with the oil halfway between the marks - with regular checking of course - to see whether the blown oil problem improves.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

sarahandthebear

Right so my mind could not rest until I did a bit of tinkering so I cheacked the spark plugs thinking if there covers in oil we have a problem. In fact they were all a lively tan colour so the engine must be fine. I then moved onto the breather tower. Itchy I was going to do your method but I found an older post of yours about cleaning the tower so I removed it to see if it is all clogged up. I removed the plastic casting inside and there is a spring and some sort of rubber which to be honest I can’t quite see enough to get a gauge on if it’s rotten. The tower itself looks relatively clean obviously has oil in it and inside the crankcase breather hoses they also have oil leading to the carb. I’m hoping if I clean the tower and replace the oring we may be in luck or replace the tower I’ll have to download tap talk to add pictures I’ll do it know :ok

sarahandthebear

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarahandthebear