5 Speed Gear Linkage

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ecopod
80-90 Mem No: 0

5 Speed Gear Linkage

Post by Ecopod »

Got a bit of spare time over the next couple of weeks and hoping to knock off the last mechanical jobs.

Got the linkage in place as per Haynes (or so I thought) but only have forward gears. 1st etc no problem, push against spring and slots in nice, very little free play on any gear. When I push across/down for reverse (knob is left of radio slot so seems correct/positioned correctly in housing at spare wheel) it is going into 2nd at the box and pulls forward - if I manually put into reverse at gearbox end it reverses but stick is in 2nd position.

I guess I know linkages need more fine tuning but just in case I’m missing something I thought I’d ask.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG
4 speed / twin slider bus
Never forget you're unique - just like everyone else

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: 5 Speed Gear Linkage

Post by multisi »

Did you take the linkage bars apart, I had this once and the rear bar needed rotating a bit .That was 4 speed though.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Hi, thanks for quick reply.

Linkages were in a box of bits so definitely apart. I’ll loosen off the pinch bolt and try rotating rear bar a bit, at least that’s easy.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

I cant remember which way I rotated but I think it was anti clock wise viewed from the rear.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Ecopod

Post by Ecopod »

Well I've just driven out of, and reversed back into the garage about 12 times. All working great.

I rotated anti clockwise as you suggested and this made sense as it seemed to put more pressure on the spring but no difference. Thought I may as well try the other way and lo and behold van can now go forwards and backwards. Now maybe as I was lying on my back I got my orientations wrong but all's well that ends well.

Thanks for you help.

Next job is fixing the high top in place so I'll be back later.
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG