1.6 JX Cooling System Issue

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

si macc
80-90 Mem No: 8124

1.6 JX Cooling System Issue

Post by si macc »

Hi all,

Drained and refilled my cooling system at the weekend after changing the main tank, thought all was ok but still needs some attention after checking the level in the main tank yesterday evening (first time I've checked after van cooled). The level was about 70% in the main tank and hadn't changed in the tank behind the number plate, it's my understanding that as the cooling system cools the liquid contracts and then pulls liquid from the tank behind the number plate. After researching and from the knowledge I already have this can be caused by a leak in the system where air is drawn in rather than the liquid from the 2nd tank. I was thinking of purchasing a pressure test kit of ebay to test this as I can't see any leaks from an initial inspection but wondering if it will end up in the bin after a few uses! Anyone have any experience or even know if a cheaper kit will fit these old vans?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cooling-Syst ... t+kit.TRS0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Going to check all pipe connections thoroughly and top up/re-bleed the system to see if I can find out what's going on. The dalek cap is new, it came with the replacement tank so thought a good idea to use, haven't done the test by blowing into it so will try that in case it's a cheap one.
T25 Westfalia Poptop 1.6TD JX

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: 1.6 JX Cooling System Issue

Post by multisi »

Make sure your dash heater lever is in the open position and heater under rear seat if you have one. Top up your main tank, get it warmed up and open the rad bleed screw to see if there are bubbles. If you still have problems try another cap, the ones that come with the tank can be dodgy.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Post by MGP »

The caps supplies with the new tanks are only fit for the bin, a pressure tester is handy for bleeding the system, but you would be better to spend the money on a decent cap first.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Get a cap from Brickwerks.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

When I changed my engine it took a good hard drive to burp the last of the air out of the system. Normal bleeding had still left some in there, so I wouldn't worry if it has only happened the once since the coolant change.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

si macc
80-90 Mem No: 8124

Post by si macc »

Great, thanks for the advice. I did buy a brickwerks a few years ago, thought a newer one would be better. I was wrong!! Kept the brickwerks one so will swap over. Looks like all my evenings working on the van this week... (got an electrical problem which I think I’ve caused myself so no one to blame!)
T25 Westfalia Poptop 1.6TD JX