Adjusting Cable on Automatic Gearbox

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Adjusting Cable on Automatic Gearbox

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Spent a few great days around Charmouth - lots of hills though.

Auto gearbox kept changing up too early - into 3rd at 40 - far too early for a long hill, needs to be nearer 50. I kept having to manually knock it into second. Can anyone talk me through adjusting kick down?
Last edited by Sir Brixalot on 01 Aug 2018, 08:59, edited 2 times in total.
Honorary "Dave" 

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Re: Automatic gearbox on hills

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
Mine is in 3rd usually before I hit 30. You can control the change up speed by the accelerator position ie the lighter the pressure the lower speed the change up occurs. I never use the kickdown on mine 'cos that means foot hard down which equals less mpg.
I also have a Golf with a DSG box and that is usually in 6th gear by about 35mph.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

No advice on adjustment but I recently topped up the ATF fluid slightly in ours and it appears to be a bit more responsive to dropping down when needed. I don't think the fluid was low but it appears to have made a difference.
3 gears never seem to be enough, I always think you should have another gear between 2 and 3.
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

It’s foot to the floor on every hill. Stamping on accelerator will drop the gear but it almost immediately changes back into 3rd
Honorary "Dave" 

kentishvanman

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
Sir Brixalot wrote:It’s foot to the floor on every hill. Stamping on accelerator will drop the gear but it almost immediately changes back into 3rd

Foot to the floor = lower gear= less mpg. Less pressure on pedal = higher gear = more mpg. The kickdown is designed more for obtaining a lower gear, for example, when overtaking. Once you have passed the other vehicle you lift the foot and return to the higher gear. Foot down to ascend a hill will get your lower gear but at what cost? The box will change down, with 'normal' pedal pressure, when the speed drops low enough to warrant it. When going up hill lift the foot slightly, when the speed has dropped, to get 2nd gear. However it will shift back to 3rd when the speed rises, still on the hill or not.
If you feel you want a different gear to the one that has been selected then you can use the 'stick' but beware of dropping it down a gear if the speed is too high. Could damage the box.
T3's are not the quickest of vehicles, automatic or manual, so dawdle up the hill and enjoy the view even if it's only of the queue of cars behind you.
Hope this helps.

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

My other gearboxes changed at just under 50 on a hill. Felt right to me. I'm running below 40 on moderate, long hills.
Honorary "Dave" 

kentishvanman

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
Noticed that the handbook says that the box will change gear according to speed and throttle position. I suppose on a manual box the gear is selected via the stick and on the auto via the pedal. Also says that for hilly areas put lever at No 2 position and 3rd gear will not be used, max speed 56mph.
For economy it says avoid full throttle acceleration and drive as long as possible in the highest gear.

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Thanks for that, so it looks like dropping down manually is the right thing to do. Got to say I chicken out at about 49mph
Honorary "Dave" 

Cobra88
80-90 Mem No: 16481

Post by Cobra88 »

Mine changes up into 3rd at 53-54 just about every time on hill on the way to work

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

That's how mine used to be. I wonder how it can be adjusted.
Honorary "Dave" 

Cobra88
80-90 Mem No: 16481

Post by Cobra88 »

I think adjusting the second gear brake band or throttle to gearbox link
but most likely the former

Regards
Rick

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

It looks like is the accelerator cable that does it. I've a page from Bentley which shows how to adjust it for most autos, excepting 090 gearbox code NH and as the page doesn't look like my accelerator linkage I must have code 090 code NH. If any one has the correct page I'd be grateful for advice. It might just be a case of try and see, trying to get clear in my head whether I need to shorten or lengthen the threaded rod attached to the accelerator cable

This is what it says: It can't be too different in principle for my box

1) To check adjustment, place accelerator pedal in full throttle position. Throttle lever must contact stop, but kick down lever on transaxle must NOT be in kick down position.
2) Press accelerator pedal beyond full throttle position to floor. Override spring must be compressed and kickdown lever on transaxle must be in kick down position. If not, readjust.
3) Loosen adjustment nut and remove override spring. Start engine and readjust idle speed, if necessary. Turn engine off.
4) Push accelerator rod to closed throttle position (against stop). Using a screwdriver, turn adjustment rod until it justs contacts throttle lever pivot.
5) Install override spring, start engine and check idle speed. If necessary, adjust idle speed by turning rod. Tighten locknut on adjustment rod.
6) Depress accelerator pedal to floor. Kick down lever on transaxle must be in kick down position on stop.
7) Release accelerator pedal. Kick down lever on transaxle must return to idle position.

Got stuck at point 1. Where is the stop for the throttle lever?
Honorary "Dave"