Oil oil everywhere

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Oil oil everywhere

Post by sarahandthebear »

Our 1984 1.9 petrol DG has always had a very small oil leak from the push rods. Over the last few months it seems to be coming from all over the engine. I wiped all the oil off from the underside to see if I could locate the leak and it is all over the back of the engine aswell building up. Could it be from the breather I have never overfilled it with oil so I was thinking it can't be that and there's no real visible leak apart from on the drive. At the weekend I'm going to clean the whole bottom side of the engine and the back and leave it running trying to see where the oil is coming from. I'll get some of the replacement telescopic push rod tubes to try stop it from there but the other place I have not a clue where it's from. I'll take a picture at the weekend as well maybe someone could help me figure out where it's from :ok
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Oil oil everywhere

Post by AngeloEvs »

I would clean as much of the engine as possible then take it for a short drive. Use a proprietary oil remover like Gunk and do the drive as well. Push rod tubes, rocker covers, crankshaft seal, oil filler, oil breather pipe, etc, need to be carefully checked.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

AngeloEvs wrote:I would clean as much of the engine as possible then take it for a short drive. Use a proprietary oil remover like Gunk and do the drive as well. Push rod tubes, rocker covers, crankshaft seal, oil filler, oil breather pipe, etc, need to be carefully checked.

this ^^^

clean it up again and go for drive at low speeds ( so the wind can't blow it) keep stopping and getting under with a torch until you find it.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

Thanks we will do that at the weekend I'll take pictures as well
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker