Clutch woes

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Clutch woes

Post by 937carrera »

Sounds encouraging :ok

Some advice given to me by a good tech. If it was working before and it isn't now, it's something you've done.

Some strange collateral damage, wiring diagram for DG here http://syncrosport.com/info/wiring/
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

pi quattro
80-90 Mem No: 10730

Post by pi quattro »

937carrera wrote:Sounds encouraging :ok

Some strange collateral damage, wiring diagram for DG here http://syncrosport.com/info/wiring/

As I lowered the box the large plastic covered part that connects onto the rear of the starter somehow got caught under the pin that it connects to and as it lowered it stretched and pulled the other bits out. Doh!
1985 autosleeper high top. 1.9 petrol

Bigjcc55
80-90 Mem No: 10140

Post by Bigjcc55 »

Is that you back on the road now Tom?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
1985 1.9 Devon moonraker
1992 2.1 SA big window syncro
1991 TDI syncro panel van

pi quattro

Post by pi quattro »

Bigjcc55 wrote:Is that you back on the road now Tom?

John?, Hi bud!

Back on the road, that was an epic job! The crankshaft seal seems to be fine, no leaks but there was a lot of rainbow coloured marks on the ground in the puddles after a drive, could not see any leaks, it I assume it will be some of the gallons of WD40 and dot 4 fluid that was spewed everywhere over the weeks.
The clutch is just slipping a little uphil under load and there is a judder at the same time. I had hoped that the clutch would be ok to go back in but maybe it is beyond cleaning properly. I thought a few hill starts would burn off a few microns on the clutch. We will see what happens.
(Might just do it a 4th time) :run

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

The only way that I have got oil off contaminated linings in an emergency was to boil the offending article in a washing powder solution, quite effective. In this case though I would have just banged a new plate in as it was all apart and a plate not difficult to obtain.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I was starting to think that this was all down to a badly worn clutch pedal clevis eye.
For those that don't know, the top of the clutch pedal has a cranked arm that takes a clevis pin, which attaches the master cylinder rod and pushes down into the master cyl.
The drilling for the clevis pin wears and ovalizes at high mileage (millions of gear changes) then eventually breaks out the end of the clutch pedal.
The result is a rapidly declining quality of gearchange followed by sudden failure.
The repair method is to remove the dash & pedal box, then weld up & re-drill the hole.
I have also added a little extra metal to the sides of the arm, to increase the bearing area for the pin.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

pi quattro

Post by pi quattro »

Went a longer run, more folk in the van up steep long hills In 4th gear. No slipping! Looks like any contamination has cleared or burned off.
Cleaned the whole engine with gunk and it looks like the original leak has stopped too. What is now apparent though is that there is a leak from the rocker cover. Dripping onto hot exhaust with the missus saying “is that smoke??”
Researching that repair now.....

pi quattro

Post by pi quattro »

silverbullet wrote:I was starting to think that this was all down to a badly worn clutch pedal clevis eye.
For those that don't know, the top of the clutch pedal has a cranked arm that takes a clevis pin, which attaches the master cylinder rod and pushes down into the master cyl.
The drilling for the clevis pin wears and ovalizes at high mileage (millions of gear changes) then eventually breaks out the end of the clutch pedal.
The result is a rapidly declining quality of gearchange followed by sudden failure.
The repair method is to remove the dash & pedal box, then weld up & re-drill the hole.
I have also added a little extra metal to the sides of the arm, to increase the bearing area for the pin.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

I would dread that repair, I couldn’t get anywhere near that pin, it was near impossible

Bigjcc55

Post by Bigjcc55 »

pi quattro wrote:Went a longer run, more folk in the van up steep long hills In 4th gear. No slipping! Looks like any contamination has cleared or burned off.
Cleaned the whole engine with gunk and it looks like the original leak has stopped too. What is now apparent though is that there is a leak from the rocker cover. Dripping onto hot exhaust with the missus saying “is that smoke??”
After what you have just done they are a doddle, two new covers with gaskets and spring clips.

1985 1.9 Devon moonraker

pi quattro

Post by pi quattro »

Bigjcc55 wrote:
pi quattro wrote:Went a longer run, more folk in the van up steep long hills In 4th gear. No slipping! Looks like any contamination has cleared or burned off.
After what you have just done they are a doddle, two new covers with gaskets and spring clips.

Yeah looks like it, was looking at the cork ones from Brickwerks, the neoprene ones from jk didn’t get a good review. If the leak was from a push rod, I wouldn’t know that until I take the rocker cover off,is that right?

Bigjcc55

Post by Bigjcc55 »

You can see leaky push rod tube seals from behind the tinware that covers them. If they need done you will need to buy telescopic tubes.

1985 1.9 Devon moonraker