Is it broke?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Merrsh1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Is it broke?

Post by Merrsh1 »

Went out in van tonight and was driving home when the oil light came on. I pulled over and there was an oil puddle.

I watched and the leak had stopped so I refilled the oil and as I was a couple of minutes from the house thought I’d limp home. Went to start the van it did start but the oil light remained on so I turned off the ignition and waited for recovery. Again there was a oil puddle under the van...

When I got home I checked underneath the van and the oil filter was very loose. How this has happened I have no idea. The last oil change was 1300 miles ago....

So I filled the van to the right level, tightened the filter and went to start the van and nowt happens. I get a starter motor clunk click and that’s it.

Is it goosed? Any wisdom! Anything to try?
Aircooled 2.0 1981

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Is it broke?

Post by 937carrera »

Assuming the battery is in decent condition, it sounds like the main or big end bearings have run hot / dry and seized onto the crankshaft. Sorry

Next step is to put a socket onto the fan pulley and see if it will turn over by hand - plugs out to make it easier
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Merrsh1

Post by Merrsh1 »

I’d guess if it doesn’t turn then that’s a rebuild?
Aircooled 2.0 1981

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

You got it, fingers crossed for you

Merrsh1

Post by Merrsh1 »

937carrera wrote:You got it, fingers crossed for you

Well if you want me to pick your lottery numbers this week I’m happy to!

After a restless night of wondering if I was going to get rid of the van or fix it I went out this morning and tried to turn the van over and guess what? Started on the button and sounded spot on. Left to idle for a couple of minutes and then turned off.

Next questions, do I need to check anything else before taking it out or is it a case of just drive it as usual?

Also as the oil filter decided to screw itself loose after 1300 miles is there anything I can do to stop that happening again?

Thanks
Aircooled 2.0 1981

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

I hope it's all OK then for you.

It's air cooled so no gauges to warn that the oil is overheating. Engines can run when cold, but seize when they get warm, if the damage isn't too severe... but it soon will be if there's a problem.

You could try lady luck, just be aware of any knocking sounds developing. If you can, try getting an oil pressure test carried out. That'll give you a guide to the condition of your engine regardless.

I can't think of any reason why the oil filter should unscrew itself unless it wasn't sufficiently tight in the first place. Do you tighten by hand or with a tool ?

Keeping those fingers crossed - good on you for switching off on the light though

Merrsh1

Post by Merrsh1 »

937carrera wrote:I hope it's all OK then for you.

It's air cooled so no gauges to warn that the oil is overheating. Engines can run when cold, but seize when they get warm, if the damage isn't too severe... but it soon will be if there's a problem.

You could try lady luck, just be aware of any knocking sounds developing. If you can, try getting an oil pressure test carried out. That'll give you a guide to the condition of your engine regardless.

I can't think of any reason why the oil filter should unscrew itself unless it wasn't sufficiently tight in the first place. Do you tighten by hand or with a tool ?

Keeping those fingers crossed - good on you for switching off on the light though

Cheers

There was probably 10 seconds between light on and engine stopped. At that point I opened the hatch to let it cool. I tighten by hand but obviously not tight enough or (unlikely) it's been interfered with - lesson learned.

>> Engines can run when cold, but seize when they get warm, if the damage isn't too severe... but it soon will be if there's a problem.

That's a worry as it was cool this morning but it did sound fine so fingers crossed. I'll check the oil level and take it out for a half hour spin. I'm hoping that as it lost most of the oil when I stopped that this went someway to mitigating the damage. i.e there was still plenty oil in the engine when I stopped. I put 2 litres back in at the side of the road, which is obviously under 50% of capacity!

I realise its a bit of a crystal ball thing but if significant damage has been caused will it be apparent fairly quickly or will it take a while to show itself?

Cheers
Aircooled 2.0 1981

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

If it lasts 30 minutes then you should certainly do the lottery, I doubt it will take that long to show if there is an issue.

Can you somehow get an oil pressure test done. It's your call but if you run it and it does fail, the repair will be more expensive, especially if the shells pick up on the crank taking it beyond the ability to regrind.

I think you should certainly try and turn over the engine by hand regardless. 10 mins for the plugs, 10 mins for the fan cover and then you know if it is spinning freely or going tight anywhere on the rotation

I suspect from what you say that all is fine.... but

Merrsh1

Post by Merrsh1 »

937carrera wrote:I think you should certainly try and turn over the engine by hand regardless. 10 mins for the plugs, 10 mins for the fan cover and then you know if it is spinning freely or going tight anywhere on the rotation

I'll try this first at the weekend. Do I just need a couple of rotations?

If it started this morning and ran for a couple of minutes does that not mean it's moving freely? I had a good listen for anything untoward and it seemed as usual...

This is a bit out of my comfort zone so I'm happy to try just need a few pointers :D
Aircooled 2.0 1981

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

A starter motor is about 0.6HP.... a lot stronger than your right arm, and not as sensitive.

It doesn't really matter how many turns you do. The effort required will vary as the valves are operated and the pistons get to their turning points, but is should remain smooth all the way round

Merrsh1

Post by Merrsh1 »

937carrera wrote:A starter motor is about 0.6HP.... a lot stronger than your right arm, and not as sensitive.

It doesn't really matter how many turns you do. The effort required will vary as the valves are operated and the pistons get to their turning points, but is should remain smooth all the way round

Brilliant. I'll try this Saturday and report back. Thanks
Aircooled 2.0 1981

Merrsh1

Post by Merrsh1 »

Would an oil change and new filter be beneficial? Or is that just too belt and braces?
Aircooled 2.0 1981

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

If the engine cooked the oil will be useless. Change it yes.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Merrsh1

Post by Merrsh1 »

CovKid wrote:If the engine cooked the oil will be useless. Change it yes.

Is the oil and filter ok or does the tea strainer need doing too?
Aircooled 2.0 1981

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

I'm not an air-cooled guru BUT if you stop a flat 4 at the side of the road on a run and dip the oil immediately you will find that most of it is hiding away in the corners. Dip it again the following morning and it will all be back from it's hiding places. A little oil goes a very long way in puddle form.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure