Fuel tank - sender and leak check

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Fuel tank - sender and leak check

Post by T25Convert »

Afternoon for questions I'm afraid!

Reading about tank removal, as the fuel gauge doesn't work (narrowed to sender or wiring) and when I fill to the brim it dribbles out the nearside.

Its a new tank, hoses, filler and breathers installed by the PO, so I think leaks likely to be a poorly fitted breather more than anything.

I reckon I have about half a tank (based on mileage alone).

I think If I follow removal instructions, but support it on a jack with a wooden spreader, I should be able to get my hand to the top of the tank to check sender is plugged in and breathers are attached/seated.

Is this feasible or will the ~35kg of fuel in the tank kill me or nearby kittens?

Cheers
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Fuel tank - sender and leak check

Post by 937carrera »

I haven't done it but just looked at a tank I have on the floor at the moment.

I would say you might be able to access it from the rear, putting your hand up where the air cooled heating pipes go, and then reach left. Might even be possible without releasing tank fixings.

The sender is located just rearward of the jacking point. Long arms better :)

1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Post by diabolov »

The tank will pivot on it's front edge (spare wheel end) as it sits on a lip BUT if it slips off then that is a lot of weight coming down. You can drop the rear and see the wire, and you should also be able to get your hand up the low middle part of the tank to have a fiddle if you need to, just make sure the front of the tank stays on the lip!.

Having just had my tank out, I would say just pivoting the rear down will pull the cross breather out of the tank OR one end off the white tank insert (which mine did) because
the cross breather pipe is fixed to the underside of the floor in the middle and there isn't much play in it's length.

Good luck

M
Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

Thanks all.

Crawled under, confirmed via mr tickle style arms and a camera phone everything is connected. Staining shows the leak is out of the near side breather grommet on top of the tank.

Wires are connected to the sender, and earthing gauge gives full deflection, just need to double check wiring, but looks like the sender has had it. Bother.

As leak is only related to over filling will drive it till emptier then drop the tank, stick on new grommets and a sender.
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

You could just drain the tank to get most of the fuel out by disconnecting the fuel line before the fuel filter and using suitable container(s) to save the fuel.
1983 DG Kamper 2