Brake advice

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bobreoc
80-90 Mem No: 0

Brake advice

Post by Bobreoc »

Morning.

Looking for a little advice on my new brakes, the ones I took off were as rotten as a pear, I’ve replaced
Backing plates
New shoes
New drums
New fitting kits

When I took the bus for a drive yesterday the brakes felt like it had a scuff on full reveloution, and when I pressed the brake pedal it bounced like the drum was warped.
No amount of adjustment fixed this I had the drum off and on all afternoon. Completely lost to what I could be?

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Brake advice

Post by 937carrera »

Make sure that the brake shoes are centred on the backing plate correctly and I always adjust them up manually rather than rely on the auto adjuster.

Double check the springs are all routed the correct way too
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

remember to slacken the handbrake cable before adjusting the brakes on the adjusters, it can help to have someone press the pedal at times to help centre them during the adjustment process and to ensure that they are coming off and nothing is stocking, then once you are happy with the pedal adjust the handbrake

Bobreoc

Post by Bobreoc »

Aidan wrote:remember to slacken the handbrake cable before adjusting the brakes on the adjusters, it can help to have someone press the pedal at times to help centre them during the adjustment process and to ensure that they are coming off and nothing is stocking, then once you are happy with the pedal adjust the handbrake

937carrera wrote:Make sure that the brake shoes are centred on the backing plate correctly and I always adjust them up manually rather than rely on the auto adjuster.

Double check the springs are all routed the correct way too

Ok thanks for the replies, I haven’t adjusted the handbrake like you said as it was pretty non existent before I started so I’ll donthat as well. I did manually adjust it with out the auto adjusters but nothing that I did made a diffrence reallt.

One thing I was thinking is that the last backing plate was so rotten I had to chip rusty metal off the hub.. maybe I didn’t get all of it and the backing plate is now off of shape?

I noticed when I was adjusting that the left show (handbrake) side came out first followed by the second shoe is that right? As I thought they moved at the same time when the brakes are applied?

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Back the handbrake off, drum on, initial adjustment of the brakes, firm application of the brake a couple of times to centre the shoes, spin the wheel to make sure it's not binding, centre again, adjust, repeat until shoes are binding then back off a couple of clicks until free running. Do the other side, don't apply the handbrake until the footbrake is sorted.

Test drive, then adjust the handbrake so that both wheels lock us pretty much the same both sides for a given number of clicks.

Bobreoc

Post by Bobreoc »

Ok

May have solved it, found the drum was catching the backing plate in a few places. I haven’t got the time now to take a lip off the drum I’ll
Do it tomorrow, I’ll assume that’s the reason I have brake judder also.

I’ll update

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

As you suggested earlier, make sure the new backing plates are in place properly and are not distorted because some of the rusty old one is still there. New drums do tend to catch a bit if there's a bit of play in your bearings

Bobreoc

Post by Bobreoc »

Ok.

So turns out the x2 drums that I had brought were warped.. stuck an original back on (had to borrow one as I lost mine) and works a treat no pulsing or catching.

Can you ever buy anything today that works?

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

That's a bit of a shocker, what brand ?

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

And where from?