Transaxle / differential oil for t25 auto

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

flatnbroke
80-90 Mem No: 0

Transaxle / differential oil for t25 auto

Post by flatnbroke »

Hi guys , we have a 1987 t25 automatic gearbox . It has a leak off the sump gasket so am going to replace it .what oil do I use as just as well change it while I'm there.many thanks.
Spend it where you have to save it where you can.....

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Re: Transaxle / differential oil for t25 auto

Post by Sir Brixalot »

ATF fluid. I'll check tomorrow for exact spec. There's also a final drive that owners often don't know about that takes gear oil - accessed with a large allen key.
Honorary "Dave" 

flatnbroke

Post by flatnbroke »

Ah , cheers . I have a Haynes manual and a Bentley one but still not sure . I know the gearbox takes dexron 6 as just had a rebuild.
I just don't want to muck it all up making a rookie mistake!! I have seen a section on final drive oil but not sure what it is tbh , I have the seal on the way from vw heritage for the sump and know I refill on the side of the diff up to the hole level but that's it.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Sounds like you've got a good idea of what you need. AFAIK ATF should be hot when putting final top up in and some say the engine should also be running. Had two gear box rebuilds myself in a year - ouch
Honorary "Dave" 

flatnbroke

Post by flatnbroke »

My Bentley manual says at the start of the differential automatic transmission section (page 39.49 section 39) it says it takes it has a lubricant capacity of 1.3 litres
A viscosity of sae 90
Type hypoid ,MIL-L 2105B , API/GL-5
Is this correct???

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

Sounds like a bit of confusion. Red ATF fluid filled via the dip stick at the front of the engine bay for the auto box or your SAE90 gear oil for the diff/trans axle filled via the plug on the side of the diff housing.
If the sump gasket was a 2mm thick fibre type stuck to the gear box with some sealant that was the diff gasket (near back of van), if the gasket was a profiled rubber one that was the auto box (closer to the front of the van).

Hope that helps
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

flatnbroke

Post by flatnbroke »

Cheers petethefeet, the gasket is a 2mm fibre one not the profiled rubber one for the gearbox sump.
Glad you cleared this confusion up will crack on changing the gasket and filling it with sae 90.thanks all!!

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Make sure you can undo the filler bung before draining the oil ! Though I don’t think it is as likely to be seized like the manual transmission one is prone to.