Omg mpg

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Omg mpg

Post by Da dan »

So been working out my sums and it’s bonkers on the difference.
So 55-60m/h average return is 25mpg and over 60mph it averages 18mpg. Light foot for me now. That’s with a water cooled 85 1.9dg.
What’s your averages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Omg mpg

Post by itchyfeet »

Pretty normal

My DG on LPG 18-20mpg ( was a bit higher when I used to run petrol) and my DJ on 95 RON 23mpg all day long.

Unless you do a high mileage don't sweat about it, what you will save is hardly worth it compared to total cost of running for year with tax, insurance and maintenance.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

In the old Autosleeper with a high top and several tons of camping interior used to get between 15 and 25 depending on how lead footed I was. 1.9DG with empire HPMx twin carbs on, 4 speed box.

However, in the tin top caravelle with nothing much in I'm managing 27, driving at 60mph. Still a 1.9 DG but with pierberg and a 5 speed box.

When the old engine was getting tired and the Webber on it was knackered I got down to 8mpg in urban driving - that was nasty!
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Well I guess I did go through that interested in fuel consumption phase when I first acquired my 2.1 WBX High top even tailgating large vehicles on motorways to cut down wind drag. However the ability to tow my boat to rallies and just stop at the waterside while fellow boat enthusiasts either faffed pitching tents or went off looking for digs or hotels made fuel consumption somewhat less important. So I have lost track of my MPG figures. :oops:
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

We do a lot of traveling and Wild camping in the van and find that when we had our old ford we would spend less on the petrol obviously, but we would have to spend the money on campsites and then have to drive around and back to the campsite every night even if we had driven miles in the day. Now we can just pull up to a countryside lay by put up the pop top and sleep the night carrying on the adventure the next day. So what we would spend on a campsite now means we can use it for fuel to see more
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

Mr Bean
R.I.P.

Post by Mr Bean »

[quote="sarahandthebear "Now we can just pull up to a countryside lay by put up the pop top and sleep the night carrying on the adventure the next day. [/quote]

Yes we have used this method to good effect in Europe where many roadside stopping areas - particlarly the Aries in France - have toilet facilities etc and unlike our service areas, are completely free with no ridiculous 2 hr limits on parking. :ok

Although being a pair of mentally lively but somewhat ancient and "patina'd "travelers, we are not sure how the dreaded "B" word will effect this though.
88 High top 2.1 WBX

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

A few of us own Smart cars. They make a good pair as they're easy to tow and once your camper is parked you've got the Smart to make local runs ;)
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

CovKid wrote:A few of us own Smart cars. They make a good pair as they're easy to tow and once your camper is parked you've got the Smart to make local runs ;)

You're giving me ideas now, the wife has a nice little convertible Smart that would be perfect for sunny europe trips!

On MPG, I need to work mine out, however, I've recently had my carb refurbished and a tank of fuel lasts much longer than it used to as well as driving much better, so if that hasn't been done in a while and your consumption is way down, might be worth considering...I'll work some figures out and report back after tracking mileage/fuel usage.
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

CovKid wrote:A few of us own Smart cars. They make a good pair as they're easy to tow and once your camper is parked you've got the Smart to make local runs ;)

yeh interesting idea, thought about this with my Lupo but car has to be under 750Kg to be classed as a trailor as I understand, it's not legal to tow a car on an A
just googled Smaret and it looks like some are 750Kg but some are over 750KG, not sure anybody would check though.
I guess you use an A frame Ralph how does the steering work when towing?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

The 750kg limit has meaning for both licence requirements and construction......... trailers over 750kg have to have their own braking system (which works when being towed)

A-Frame is viewed as a trailer temporarily attached a motor vehicle regardless of weight

Keeping on topic, MPG will be lower, I used to tow regularly, car on it's own ~28mpg, with trailer on back (~1600kg) 18-20 mpg
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

just to start some lively debate, towing with an A frame is perfectly legal, but regardless of weight if a 'Trailer' has a braking system it must operate. The legal A frames used by motorhomes have a link to the cars braking system, which is why they are expensive. The buggy weighs 745KG and has been towed here and to Le Mans, fortunately it has not been queried so far, maybe it's a grey area?

'937' beat me to it, again on topic, Hi top with DG on petrol was around 25MPG ( I tend to stick to 60 on the motorway) and do little around town miles, On LPG that dropped to around 18MPG
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

Daisy
80-90 Mem No: 4298

Post by Daisy »

My Classic mini 30 weighs between 580 -686kg not towed it yet with my camper, as I am in the process of a bare metal restoration on the mini but lookout for a white T25 towing a cherry red metallic mini 30 next year.
Now that will throw a different light on my vans mpg, good job it runs on LPG :ok
You`re only meant to blow the bloody doors

T25- you were only supposed to weld the bloody sills

Mr Bean
R.I.P.

Post by Mr Bean »

Having had to abandon riding my BSA A65 due to damage largely sustained in motorboat racing - plus Her Ladyship won't do pillion any more - I have been considering restoring it to a sidecar outfit as it has been in the past. I did wonder whether I could tow it simply by using a removable frame which lifted the front wheel clear of the road. The limiting factor being the overall weight but in particular, the weight applied to the tow ball - this likely to be the fly in the ointment so to speak. So I guess it would be less complicated simply to use a purpose built Tipping trailer to save the faff with regulations. The A65 is currently fitted with a full dustbin fairing and was last used as combo with a shortened Wessex sports sidecar - sadly no longer in my possession. I would love to build a racing style sidecar blended into and complementary to the dustbin fairing... Must do some weight estimates/calculations (Little man on shoulder reminding me of current works in progress :( )
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Mr Bean
R.I.P.

Post by Mr Bean »

Having had to abandon riding my BSA A65 due to damage largely sustained in motorboat racing - plus Her Ladyship won't do pillion any more - I have been considering restoring it to a sidecar outfit as it has been in the past. I did wonder whether I could tow it simply by using a removable frame which lifted the front wheel clear of the road. The limiting factor being the overall weight but in particular, the weight applied to the tow ball - this likely to be the fly in the ointment so to speak. So I guess it would be less complicated simply to use a purpose built Tipping trailer to save the faff with regulations. The A65 is currently fitted with a full dustbin fairing and was last used as combo with a shortened Wessex sports sidecar - sadly no longer in my possession. I would love to build a racing style sidecar blended into and complementary to the dustbin fairing... Must do some weight estimates/calculations (Little man on shoulder reminding me of current works in progress :( )
88 High top 2.1 WBX