Cooling system upgrade

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: Cooling system upgrade

Post by captain Byrne »

You say it's not over heating & yet you also say the fan is on pretty much all the time during hot weather. To me that's overheating & 5 mins from cold seems a tad quick for it to reach temperature. From cold turn on the engine & it should take about 10 mins for the rad to get warmish at the top. For me it takes at least 15mins tickover from cold before the fan comes on.
To check the thermostat you need to remove it & put it in a pan of water, heat it up & check it's opening at the approriate temperature, which, on the top of my head I don't know, but you could find out easily enough.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Cobra88 wrote:Neither are blocked on my DG :?

What's missing from my Caravelle then :roll:

In the offside vent on a 1.9DG there was originally a warm air unit that received air heated by the shroud around the exhaust header on cylinder 1, it transferred the warmed air to the air filter box and on into the carburettor to prevent 'Carb Icing' ... this is un necessary in our UK climate and all they really did was hold moisture into the corner behind the tail lights and rot them out. Many have been removed over the years (to no detriment) and various other things placed there ... ours has the LPG vapouriser on the offside and a kerosene/diesel tank in the nearside to provide fuel for our Eberspacher same as Steve.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Cobra88
80-90 Mem No: 16481

Post by Cobra88 »

Thanks Ian :ok