JX not boosting and haemorrhageing oil :-(

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bazibbo
80-90 Mem No: 0

JX not boosting and haemorrhageing oil :-(

Post by Bazibbo »

My JX was running reasonably until a spirited run out the other day, when I noticed it's occasional drip of oil had become a few drips. It had also lost some power. Over the next few short trips out, only a few miles, the bus got slower and the oil leaks were enough to make rear of the bus look like a dalmatian!

Plumbed a boost gauge in the other day and on a foot flat down run I'm seeing around 5psi in second, third and possibly 6psi in top, though the boost seems to tail off and drop to nothing when left. If I drive gently, even over a long distance, I can nearly stop the oil leaks. The leaks are from a few places, behind the sh*t plate, behind the cambelt cover, as well as a weep from the oil sender on the cooler/filter housing.

The turbo isn't covered in oil though, so I'm scratching my head as to why I'm not getting much boost, and as to why at the same time, oil coming out of every hole! :cry:

A few other bits of info...

The engine starts well, and other than running a bit like the CS it replaced, feels good, if a little 'unrevvy'.
Its not running hot at all, in fact despite this hot weather, it's running well.
BOV has an allen screw stopping it opening.
I've turned the main fueling screw up to see if it was a fuel restriction, but even when I've got an unhealthy dose of black smoke, he ain't boosting ( screw returned to standard )
Doesn't burn oil, and just a haze on an evening when cars follow with their lights on.
Exhaust manifold and inlet are tight - suspect my exhaust manifold is just a bit warped, so I'm always on to of it :-)
Preload adjuster on the beehive type wastegate is screwed well in.
LDA passes the thumb test - pull it open, and it stays open until I take my thumb off the inlet.
I'm hands on, but no expert by a long shot, so I could be misleading you here!

So that's all I know. I worry the the oil leaks are caused by crank case pressure, but I run a turbo bug, so I'm paranoid about such things. I'm wondering if the turbo is restricting exhaust flow and causing an increase in crank pressure.

So, solving stuff.
I'm tempted to pull the air filter housing off, so that I can rule out blocked airways.
Maybe check the engine breather.
I can't see or hear a boost leak, but if anywhere, I guess it must be in the single short flexi pipe.
Wastegate stuck open?

Any ideas guys? I'm not initially looking to stop leaks, but to suss why all of a sudden have I lost power and started leaking everywhere.

Thanks in advance.
89 T25 1.6 JX diesel - slooooooow as slow gets.
72 1302s bug -EFI turbo faaaast as a fast thing.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: JX not boosting and haemorrhageing oil :-(

Post by 937carrera »

Instinctive reaction is bearing failure, have you checked for free play on the turbo shaft, in/out and up / down ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Bazibbo

Post by Bazibbo »

Ta, I'll have a look today.

Haven't noticed any extra noise, its been fairly uneventfully quiet.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

That can happen if the impeller isn't spinning.

You might want to read this if you haven't already http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/the-d ... 33228.html

I'm most definitely not a diesel guy, but have a fair amount of petrol turbo experience so others will know more about your engine

Bazibbo

Post by Bazibbo »

Yep, it's a good write up is that.

Sadly, I don't think its the turbo, or at least the turbine/compressor part.

Initially I was concerned as it didn't feel like there was any play in it, but removing my rubber gloves and I can just see about a 1/4 to 1/2 a mill of movement. I can't get my fat fingers in there to give it a real good spin, but its definitely moving freely.

Shame, as it would have been a relatively easy fix.

Engine breather is clear. I can blow and get the LDA to move a bit. I can't imagine that its something like a clogged air filter, as it happened in the last week or so! it wasn't a long term performance drop off.

I don't think I can get the wastegate off in situ, though I can probably bypass it. Having said that, I can't prove that its open or shut, even if I could stop the boost getting to the activator.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Movement should be "only just perceptible", difficult to quantify that if you haven't seen a good one. Can you get a mirror or camera in to see if there is any blade damage (just something I would do as the blades are now visible)

If it is a rod type actuator can you disconnect the rod and make sure it moves freely, otherwise if it's a diaphragm type you'll probably need to remove for disassembly.

Make sure there are no holes / poor connections in pipework that will allow boost to bleed away, especially on the boost regulation side

This might also be of interest http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/jx-bo ... 91498.html

For amusement, I once had a car where some numpty had plumbed the wastegate the wrong way round........ more boost wedging the valve closed. That was interesting to drive shall we say. :shock:

Bazibbo

Post by Bazibbo »

An interesting read, thanks for finding that. It certainly tells me that I can comfortably aim to be between 9 and 11psi, without worrying. I don't want to be installing an EGT gauge ( despite having one ) as you end up forever watching it! So I'll keep things as near stock as I can.

So I'm pretty happy the the turbo's ok, can't see any damage at the compressor end.

It's an internal wastegate on a KKK turbo, and it looks a real pain to adjust - turbo off is a minimum requirement.

I'll check for boost leaks first, then maybe look at bypassing the wastegate signal, with a bleed or a dawes valve ( I should have both, somewhere ) but I need to be careful as I'm engineering a solution by skirting around the potential problem....

OK, had my break, I'll head back into the sun

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you are doing, I've used bleed valves, it makes my head hurt figuring out what side of the diaphragm to bleed away from :lol:
those KKK diaphragms can fail.

Have fun in the sun,

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

My snorkel pipe was so knacked I doubt it much would have got through it at higher revs, fortunately at the time it wasn’t connected to the filter, so if yours is original it’s worth checking. Made of cardboard and wire as I recall...
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

I had to adjust the waste gate as the boost had got to .3 bar !! I set it to .9 bar ( this was a year ago ) it's back down to a max of .7 bar....
Just for info the EGT is 825 deg c ( Max).
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

Bazibbo

Post by Bazibbo »

937carrera wrote:Have fun in the sun,

My legs got tanned - oiled my head somewhat too

RogerT wrote:My snorkel pipe was so knacked I doubt it much would have got through it at higher revs, fortunately at the time it wasn’t connected to the filter, so if yours is original it’s worth checking. Made of cardboard and wire as I recall...

Think I'll pull the airbox to snorkel pipe off so I can see if it makes any difference

dave friday wrote:I had to adjust the waste gate as the boost had got to .3 bar !! I set it to .9 bar ( this was a year ago ) it's back down to a max of .7 bar....
Just for info the EGT is 825 deg c ( Max).

ta, that gives me something to aim at.

Sooo, managed to fit the bleed valve, with the brickwerks fitting kit. It has improved things a bit, in terms of performance, but not a lot. I haven't seen the outcome yet, but I'm guessing 7 or 8 psi ( ordered some longer silicon hose! I have to get someone to sit in the back and video the gauge.... such is my life! ) The bleed valve is pretty much wide open though, which suggests to me that I've still got a problem. I think I might get better results from a dawes valve that can totally stop the signal ( boost ) getting to the wastegate, until the signal passes a specified amount.

Still potentially the wastegate is busted

Not as many drips of oil though. Maybe I've stumbled upon a solution, or maybe I've run out! I don't think I've ever overfilled it, but some engines make less mess when they're running at the medium level as opposed to brim full.... not convinced yet though.

More messing this week.

Bazibbo

Post by Bazibbo »

And a quick ride up the road only gives me around 5psi :-( and that’s without the bleed valve connected. I suspect it would only run 5 or 6psi without the wastegate connected.

I’ll check for any inlet restriction next time, but I’m assuming the wastegate is partially open all the time, hence me not getting over 6 psi with the bleed valve.

Anybody concur?

I’ve also found that the alternator belt has knicked the filler pipe, and worn a pin hole through it. I suspect that this might be the cause of the bigger oil leak, I’ll know more after I’ve driven it a bit further.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Bazibbo wrote:And a quick ride up the road only gives me around 5psi :-( and that’s without the bleed valve connected. I suspect it would only run 5 or 6psi without the wastegate connected.

I’ll check for any inlet restriction next time, but I’m assuming the wastegate is partially open all the time, hence me not getting over 6 psi with the bleed valve.

Anybody concur?

Either diaphragm or the wastegate valve / valve seat is broken (I've had both), again, as I don't know the K14 I'm assuming from K26 / K27 wastegate designs

Bazibbo wrote:
I’ve also found that the alternator belt has knicked the filler pipe, and worn a pin hole through it. I suspect that this might be the cause of the bigger oil leak, I’ll know more after I’ve driven it a bit further.

Bit of a result and an easy fix..... but why has it been making contact ?

Oh, and please stop talking psi, I keep having to do the maths :lol:

Bazibbo

Post by Bazibbo »

Most probably bad maintenance. I put some new belts on a few weeks back, and I think the alternator has loosened and allowed a bit of movement - dooooh. There’s also only around 10mm clearance at best, which doesn’t help. But an easy fix :D

Wastegate will be a pain. Punctured diaphragm shouldn’t be an issue as it opens, rather than closes the valve. But damaged seat could well be, and that write up you found the other day, suggests it will be a real pain to replace.

Might be easier to replace the whole turbo. There’s plenty of reasonably priced uk recons, or new foreign hobbies.

Worry about that later though, he’s still running and if I can sort some of the leaks, he’ll get me through the season.

Bazibbo

Post by Bazibbo »

Lol - I can’t do bar in my head! I only think in psi’s