Early 1.9DG - Starts, runs for a moment, dies.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Early 1.9DG - Starts, runs for a moment, dies.

Post by CovKid »

As Kev says, for correct function, the carb relies on a steady and predictable 'suck' (vacuum) from the engine which should be airtight except where it needs it. Conversely, as well as air leaks making idle impossible, a totally clogged air filter can reduce air so much, it dies. This last one, took me some time to discover. It was after a very pollen-laden Summer. Easily ruled out by removing filter or taking airbox off top of carb, :D

Quite a few of us give replies in everyday speak. I always use this approach when I develop a new project. I assume (by default) that the owner has just a fiver in their pocket, very few tools and limited knowledge. I say that, because (despite my now accrued knowledge), I was exactly like that myself when I started 30 years ago.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: Early 1.9DG - Starts, runs for a moment, dies.

Post by captain Byrne »

nsjtaylor wrote:All sorted. Van now runs fine.

Choke pull-down arrived, so I fitted that to the rebuilt carb and installed. All vac pipes replaced. Bus runs like a champ once more.

I'll still investigate the diz vac advance and make sure it's 100%.

Thanks for your help and suggestions/advice, folk.
Great news, glad you've got it sorted.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.