Push rod leak fix or drive

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Push rod leak fix or drive

Post by sarahandthebear »

Afternoon all our van 1.9 westfalia dg petrol has done about 170.000 miles we have been driving it everyday for just under a year and when we first got the van there was a small oil leak from one of the pushrods. On the drive would occasionally be a very small drip of oil but hardly worth noticing. We have been topping up the oil only a small amount each time after about a week as I assume we must loose some on the road. We just got back from the Lake District a big drive for our van up hills ect and I have noticed there is now more oil on the drive but in different places under the engine it has slowly built up so I put a piece of cardboard down and there were a few spots here and there when looking I noticed all the rods seem to be leaking but the oil consumption is not that bad and it only happens once we have parked up and sometimes it won't leak as much as other times. We're off to cornwal I a week and were wounded I g would it be ok to drive if I just top up the oil on our travels when it needs it. The leak is not even that bad but I'm just wondering should we fix it before we travel or do it when we get back. She runs as smooth as a button and I have been driving her since the lakes no problem apart from topping up the oil she starts first time
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Push rod leak fix or drive

Post by itchyfeet »

if its not bad fix it when you get back
just regularly monitor levels best every time you stop it only takes seconds but let it drain down so just before you set off is best.
it willl fail an mot next time as rules have changed so needs fixing anyway.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

Thanks itchy Ipwe always check it before and after a drive so it never runs low. We just had our MOT luckily before the new changes but have to get it fixed before next time :ok

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... so-ct.html

8 off these and a morning's work ... saves taking the heads off and opening a whole can of worms.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure