Doesn't want to start when hot

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

burnzdog
80-90 Mem No: 0

Doesn't want to start when hot

Post by burnzdog »

Hi all,

Just had a new engine put in 2.1 DJ all going well until I stopped at a garage for fuel and it didn't want to start again. It turns over but feels like battery is dead. When cold it fires up no problem first time.

Any ideas where to look?

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Doesn't want to start when hot

Post by silverbullet »

I would ask in the Technical sub-forums ;)

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

first thing to look at is the earth straps, gearbox nose and battery
then consider the positive connections onto the starter and battery , dirty loose connections show up when its hot

if all of those check out ok, the ollite bushing in the bell housing is the next place to look.

all this is assuming you have not altered the timing , as too far advanced timing also shows these symptoms , but timing does not move on its own
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Got almost exactly the same symptoms on another car today. Spins over normally & starts fine when cold, almost doesn't turn over when hot.

Best diagnosis at this point is it's the integral +ve cable from the solenoid to the starter motor that is corroded & breaking down when hot - all the above suggestions are worth checking
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Thanks for suggestions.

Where/ how exactly do I check the integral +ve cable from the solenoid to the starter motor?

The cables to the starter motor seem very awkward to get to. Do I need to take the motor off

It is strange it fire up straight away no problem when cool, just after a run it sounds like battery is dead.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

To do that you'll need to remove the starter, separate the solenoid, and remove the internals of the motor to inspect / test.

It may sound strange, but remember resistance increases with temperature, so a marginal +ve lead becomes non functional due to conducted heat from the engine or repeated cranking. That could be another method to diagnose, pull the coil > dizzy lead and try turning the engine over a few times. That will put heat into the +ve cable without getting the engine warm, but be careful, you can burn out a good starter by holding it on too long.

"Kwik Fit" approach would be to simply replace starter.

Don't forget to check the earths and other connections as suggested - easy / cheap stuff first.

It's starter off to check the oilite bearing anyway, and it's easier access on a WBX than air cooled.

On the other hand you say you've just had a new DJ engine put in. I'd be tempted to take it back to the garage that fitted it, where did the starter come from ?

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Ok. It's worth mentioning I literally just had a new engine put in. And the problem didn't exist before. Also I had a problem the other day where it would take start at all and I found there was a cable loose from the starter motor, which I could just about reconnect with dislocating my wrist.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Well, I think that's a big clue.

Either, remove the battery earth and remove / replace starter cables, make sure they are clean, and tighten up with tools, or simply take it back to the garage to allow them to finish the job off. Ask them to confirm that you have the same starter motor fitted as well

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

It's is the same starter motor. I had a similar issue with my bay and it was resolved I think by adjusting distributor. I will take back to garage as well.