Leaking fuel tank

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

2011dandd
80-90 Mem No: 0

Leaking fuel tank

Post by 2011dandd »

Not long had my camper, took it for our first trip to Norfolk the other week filled the tank right up and it was leakin on both off and near sides and more to the rear of the tank. Stopped after a while maybe a couple of minutes.
Does this sound like a new tank job or are rubber seals more likely?

I know I could get away with not putting as much fuel in, infact that’s exactly what I have been doing, but would feel a lot better if the problem was fixed.

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Re: Leaking fuel tank

Post by lefty67 »

Might be perished breather pipes rather than the tank itself.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Water collects on top of the tank so it could well have rusted through. As said it could also be that the breathers have either perished or not been fitted properly
Honorary "Dave" 

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Whatever the cause the tank needs to be out
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

Yes I agree needs sorting whatever the problem may be.
Might have to just go with getting an new tank and gubbings. Needs to be done by July 7th

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Factor in the gubbins on the back of the fuel filler too. Almost certainly the rubber will be perished jubilee rotted and the retaining ring rusted away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEQSm5Ph2g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

I'm experiencing a very similar thing and have just got my van booked in for the pulling of the tank next week, and ordered all new breather hoses/grommets etc, although I am expecting it to be a tank replacement job (hope for the best, expect the worst).

Here's a very useful link from Brickwerks I have referred to a lot the last few days!

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/brickwerks ... -gubbings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

When it comes back, fill the tank to check that the garage has fitted the breathers properly. Mine had two goes but still didn't fit them properly
Honorary "Dave" 

2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

Sir Brixalot wrote:When it comes back, fill the tank to check that the garage has fitted the breathers properly. Mine had two goes but still didn't fit them properly
What are the signs and symptoms of not being fitted correctly?

2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

Dubworth wrote:I'm experiencing a very similar thing and have just got my van booked in for the pulling of the tank next week, and ordered all new breather hoses/grommets etc, although I am expecting it to be a tank replacement job (hope for the best, expect the worst).

Here's a very useful link from Brickwerks I have referred to a lot the last few days!

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/brickwerks ... -gubbings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A very useful link. I have also been using this as point of reference.
I think im going to buy all f it and get it all changed. Grommets fuel lines tank the lot. If all fitted correctly one less thing to be worried about

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

To be honest it’s probably best to get a new fuel tank and replace the lines aswell even the ones in the engine bay depending on if they have been done already. When we first got our van last year one of the first jobs we did was replace the tank and lines and we can now relax knowing it’s all fixed up. It may be expensive but worth it in the end for peace of mind. Make sure you get the right lines though as there are some cheap ones around brickworks is your best bet for supply’s
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

ordered all the kit from brikweks. Have no time to have a go myself so just need to find a garage to do the work

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

Always best not to do it yourself when messing with fuel one wrong move and that’s it. We got ours done at a place in kenilworth a sound guy who knows his stuff did a really good job of it. I wanted to do it myself but did not feel safe laying under the van messing with the tank. Try and find someone who knows what they’re doing as some garages can cut corners and the fuel tank and lines are something that needs to be done right
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I discovered my tank plumbing was not up to scratch deep in France when I filled to the brim one coldish morning with the van sloping away from the pump and drove into a heatwave which caused the fuel to expand and leak from one or more of the lines to the expansion tanks. It scared me to death as I couldn't get rid of the smell of petrol even when pitched up and was especially twitchy about using the fridge on gas or using the cooker. A hundred or so miles lowered the level in the tank but touring on a reduced tank capacity did put a damper on the trip.
First shot at fixing it at home wasn't successful as it didn't pass the fill to the brim test but I got it right eventually. Ruddy nightmare job I thought but I would be careful about unloading it on someone unless they had a decent pit or lift and model specific experience.
As with electricity connectors are just dis-connectors as a fall back job and the T25 has too many for my liking. :roll:
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

2011dandd

Post by 2011dandd »

Mr Bean wrote:I discovered my tank plumbing was not up to scratch deep in France when I filled to the brim one coldish morning with the van sloping away from the pump and drove into a heatwave which caused the fuel to expand and leak from one or more of the lines to the expansion tanks. It scared me to death as I couldn't get rid of the smell of petrol even when pitched up and was especially twitchy about using the fridge on gas or using the cooker. A hundred or so miles lowered the level in the tank but touring on a reduced tank capacity did put a damper on the trip.
First shot at fixing it at home wasn't successful as it didn't pass the fill to the brim test but I got it right eventually. Ruddy nightmare job I thought but I would be careful about unloading it on someone unless they had a decent pit or lift and model specific experience.
As with electricity connectors are just dis-connectors as a fall back job and the T25 has too many for my liking. :roll:
Cher mr bean