Exhaust studs/new S/S exhaust

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Exhaust studs/new S/S exhaust

Post by nesty »

A question about exhaust fitment.
I may have to bring my plans slightly forward for my exhaust replacement. My exhaust is truly on the last legs and 50/50, if it will get through MOT, can't be welded as will fall apart, gum gum might buy me some time? Alternatively if it doesn't, I may have to bring ahead my plans for a S/S exhaust and looking at the VW speedshop version. Seen a clip on you tube of one and sounds good and taylored to T25, then a custom exhaust fabrication.

The procedure for exhaust fitting how difficult is it on scale 1 to 10 (10 being the hardest). I am not doing it a garage will.
Is stud removal compulsory on an early version? I mean if the nuts come off doesn't the exhaust then just go on to the studs and nuts tightened up. Stud removal only, if they shear/break off, am I correct in saying that?
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Re: Exhaust studs/new S/S exhaust

Post by 300CE »

I've got a Speedshop exhaust going on in the next couple of weeks so will let you know how it goes - in the meantime i'm sure someone will be along who has already fitted one.

Luckily, my engine isn't that old so didn't have any problem with iffy nuts/studs, but bought a set of these in any case:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8pcs-VW-T25- ... SwxH1UFFZa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'86 DG, Weber Carb

nesty

Post by nesty »

Cheers. I like the look of the VW speedshop one and I think maybe it's time to take that plunge!
Though the studs worry me. Though my engine is reconditioned in 2005 (former keeper), so my studs and nuts haven't been on there 30 year or so, if that makes a difference!

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Big problem is getting the nuts off without the stud snapping. If it does, you've got to get it out, and then fit a new one. A straightforward job is suddenly a pretty tricky one.
If your engine was swapped out, then it might not be as bad as others that have been in situ since they were built.
Start soaking the nuts well in advance of the job, if you can - and use releasing agent, not WD40.
If all else fails, I've seen cases where the pipes were cut off close to the head, and then the new exhaust welded to the old stumps.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

nesty

Post by nesty »

tforturton wrote:Big problem is getting the nuts off without the stud snapping. If it does, you've got to get it out, and then fit a new one. A straightforward job is suddenly a pretty tricky one.
If your engine was swapped out, then it might not be as bad as others that have been in situ since they were built.
Start soaking the nuts well in advance of the job, if you can - and use releasing agent, not WD40.
If all else fails, I've seen cases where the pipes were cut off close to the head, and then the new exhaust welded to the old stumps.

Cheers many thanks, I'll get soaking me nuts!
Gone through the former receipts and the engine and ancillaries were swapped over in 2005. I can only assume the exhaust was from the former engine, so hopefully the nuts can come off more easier.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Brake fluid (via dropper) makes an excellent penetrating fluid if you don't have any ;)
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

nesty

Post by nesty »

CovKid wrote:Brake fluid (via dropper) makes an excellent penetrating fluid if you don't have any ;)

Cheers, I have a can of WD40 fast release penetrant with fixed straw (not standard WD40) and used that on my trailing arms bolts and other stuff and works ok, I might give that a go on these nuts, as the straw is very useful for hard to get areas!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I wouldn't even attempt exhaust studs and nuts with WD40. Its ok for spraying around a distributor cap but not much else. You may need a little heat too.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

As said wd40 is useless, I tend to use Teflon lubricants

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Nesty did say its not standard WD40
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

nesty

Post by nesty »

R0B wrote:Nesty did say its not standard WD40

Lol, I know :roll:, I just couldn't be bothered to remark!
Just to clear the matter up. This is stuff is actually rather good and cheaper then plus Gas. I used this on my other vehicle and it loosened off some stubborn bolts!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD40-Fast-Rele ... B00KPUBO28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

george2490
80-90 Mem No: 14339

Post by george2490 »

Eurocarparts have plusgas on eBay for a fiver too.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
2.0 CU

nesty

Post by nesty »

Ok thanks, I'll look at that. I have WD40 fast release penetrant (NOT STANDARD!) to use up.
Wickes do the above currently for £3.94, which is a good price.
If I was Plus Gas CEO, I would certainly be investigating smart straw design. It really is so much better for getting to the hard to reach crevices and you'd never lose the straw, (I know plus gas, doesn't have a straw), though for the professional & layman a smart straw would be so much better!

nesty

Post by nesty »

Started giving the bolts and nuts a bit of a spray as Van be going in week after next for new stainless Exhaust.
My van is a early (late 84), though this very much looks like a bolt.
Looking at van from the rear. It's the upper left manifold (upper fixing) nearest to the darlek head header water bottle.
I gather later models had a bolt there, am I wrong? I just thought early version, were all studs and nuts. The rest look like they are.

nesty

Post by nesty »

The bolt in question in above photo will not come off (everything else has).
Garage said only way is to drill tried everything heat, wrenchs, etc.
Some things have to come off to get the drill in there. Nothing straight forward is it, though I knew this would be a difficult job.