Early water cooled - attaching coolant bleeder valve to body

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Post by hightop ratty »

1984 1.9 petrol early water cooled.

Trying to attach the coolant bleeder valve to the rear bulkhead (bleeder valve appears to be broken where it attaches to the bodywork, and no obvious way of attaching - it's been like this for years, but a little concerned as the passenger side exhaust appears very close to the bottom coolant pipe for my liking - about 1.5 inches away, without any shielding from the heat - don't need the pipe melting from the heat, or dropping onto the exhaust).

Should it just clip in, or is there some kind of fixing that should be in the small oblong hole on the rear bulkhead that it attaches to ?

I guess I can cobble something to fit in the hole & use cable ties, but trying to do a better more permanent job if I can - a new bleeder valve is obviously an option.

Are coolant pipe brackets / clips available to fix the 4 coolant pipes to the rear bulkhead ?, and any exploded diagrams available of the coolant pipework (& clips) around the engine bay.

Ecopod
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Ecopod »

Hello, hopefully have same set up. Here’s a couple pics of mine to check how mine are sitting (not saying they’re right but not close to exhaust etc).
ImageImage

The black 4 way joiner has two clips on the back that are usually broken off, these hold the part tight to the bulkhead - new part is available from Brickwerks (early cooling system / cooler bleeder valve). I got mine on Fleabay but it took a while.

And this link may take you to VW Heritage with diagram and 30% off that part (part no 10).

https://www.vwheritage.com/type-25-bus/ ... -junctions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG
4 speed / twin slider bus
Never forget you're unique - just like everyone else

hightop ratty
Trader

Re: Early water cooled - attaching coolant bleeder valve to body

Post by hightop ratty »

Thanks ecopod - lovely clean engine bay :D
Need a few hours & some gunk etc to clean mine properly (as it's quite dirty / dusty & oily :cry: (should have done it whilst the engine was out :roll: - now that would have been a lot easier :ok )

Yes that's my set up - I think my 2 clips are broken (the rest is fine - which is the important bit) - saw the bottom clip hole the other night (van is in the garage at the minute), so it's dropping a couple of inches & not securely attached at that point. The bottom hose (on the left hand side is therefore close to the exhaust on mine - about an inch or so (too close for comfort) - your exhaust looks a bit lower than mine.

I'l either have to cobble / bodge a clip or something into the 2 holes & attach the body (or use a wire tie up through each of the holes to hold it higher), but at the price on the link - probably better to just pay the money & have a new one (looked them up on brickwerks - my saviours the other night - in my basket waiting to hear from the garage if I need anything else), and looking at some of the coolant hose reductions on the link - might invest in a few new ones.

Ecopod
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Ecopod »

Thanks, I was lucky buying a good shell with everything in the back so was able to clean everything before fitting.

Just had another thought (and sorry if I’m stating obvious but) do you have the white plastic clips in place too, one sits just under black box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
83 W/C 1.9 DF or DG
4 speed / twin slider bus
Never forget you're unique - just like everyone else

hightop ratty
Trader

Post by hightop ratty »

No worries - I can take (the seemingly obvious) right on the chin.
If only I had taken into account some (now screamingly obvious) things in the past - my 2.1 engine might not now be no more than a paperweight :roll:

I'l have to double check - but no I don't think that clip is in place :oops:
I think there is a cable tie holding it up around that area (so not dangling completely in thin air) - but does need something better to secure it (& avoid hitting the exhaust - or driveshaft which I had going back a good few years - in the middle of a 3 lane road on a busy sunny saturday afternoon :roll: