New MOT test surprise

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

New MOT test surprise

Post by nevill3 »

I took our diesel camper to the test station today and she passed with flying colours :lol:

The surprise was when the tester cane to find me and ask where the oil dipstick and battery were because he had to test the oil temperature. I had to strip out the back of the camper to reveal the engine bay cover and then remove that so he could gain access to the battery.

After the pass I asked what tests were performed on the battery and I think he said he need to connect the oil temperature tester to the battery to take the reading. This should be fun for all you petrol drivers, I hope they have long leads.

It has just dawned on me that part of the new test is a check for contaminated brake fluid and there was no sign that the instrument cowling had been removed!
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: New MOT test surprise

Post by CovKid »

Gets silly on old motors like ours. I'm all for removing leaks and not having engines that belch clouds of smoke but heck....
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Most MOT stations guess oil temp in my opinion, they wait until the fan cuts in, maybe yours didn't.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

I think that was the way they used to do it but I thought maybe now they have to input the actual temperature and revs somewhere before they can test the emissions. Just guessing
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

Mine got tested a couple of days ago (it failed) they didn't need to access the engine or battery.