Output shaft play.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Output shaft play.

Post by PeteandNikki »

Probably one for Aidan here.
Whilst taking a break from my temperamental idling problem and waiting for someone to have a sudden lightbulb moment on my thread, I though I would investigate another niggling fault. I had assumed that a constant and worsening ‘clicking’ from the near side rear must be a cvj bearing needing replacing. I’ve jacked up the rear and removed the wheel. On investigation I can grab the drive shaft at the gearbox end and there’s a couple of mm up and down play. There is also quite a bit of oil leaking around the output shaft.
Should there be any play, and will a new seal cure anything?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Output shaft play.

Post by Aidan »

left side is the short side of the diff - the output shaft runs in an oil film in the differential casing so always the side that wears, exacerbated by worn cv joint maybe - flange may be scored on the seal surface, if not a seal will help with the leak, if it is a SpeediSleeve will repair the surface and seal replacement will resolve the leak at least for a while but there's nothing to adjust - possibly the spring washer has been fitted upside down or missed out on a previous rebuild, otherwise it's just wear in the differential casing/output flange can possibly be repaired but it's a fairly major diff out job
get a circlip 014 311 317 when you get the seal as replace everytime item you can't fit it in the groove, fit onto end of output shaft then persuade it into place with a 32mm socket or similar

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Re: Output shaft play.

Post by PeteandNikki »

Thanks Aidan. Brickwerks shopping list tomorrow then.