new 1.9 wbx engine - poor running (& coolant / oil leak :-(

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

new 1.9 wbx engine - poor running (& coolant / oil leak :-(

Post by hightop ratty »

Hi Guys
Had the engine run in a few hundred miles now (& had it's oil & filter changed).
Been treating her gently / gingerly after the big bang - but does feel a bit under powered.

On it's maiden trip (75 miles down to Tenby) for the Westest VW Show this weekend - had a couple of issues:

1) Have been having trouble starting it since the rebuild - does start, but never 1st time (had a new battery) - & press accelerator first.

2) Noticed a small film of oil (very small - only just noticeable) on the passenger side cylinder head (rear of engine side), and a small amount at the top of the spark plug well - wiped off - didn't see any when we got to show.

3) A few issues with what felt like petrol delivery - would lose power and then kick back in (feeling a bit under powered all round, and need to use the gears quite a bit).

4) A small water leak sitting on the engine case on the passenger side on the bulkhead side when we got there - soaked up with a kitchen towel.

5) A smell of rubber burning but can't find anything obvious - will be checking all the brakes as well in case (couldn't feel any hot wheels).

6) Cut out when coasted into a parking spot to double check directions - nightmare to start - left a few minutes & started ok (ish).

6b) Same issue coming home - just left site, popping a farting on run down hill (coasting not accelerating).

7) Back fired - felt like running on 3 cylinders / or poor timing, and cut out at traffic lights - took a while to start again (left it a few mins & started ok), then ran pretty well all the way home (a couple of fuel delivery issues as in (3) above, but that was it.

Had all new (brickwerks kit) fuel lines & fuel tank before the new engine - so shouldn't be that end of things - will check the fuel filter later.

Hoping it's not a loose / leaking head gasket - but kinda points that way (to my untrained eye) :-(

What's your thoughts ?

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: new 1.9 wbx engine - poor running (& coolant / oil leak :-(

Post by 937carrera »

Sounds like it is running weak, can you check the mixture ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Define 'New 1.9 wbx engine' ...

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Ian Hulley wrote:Define 'New 1.9 wbx engine' ...

Ian

Good question !
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

The poor running/cutting out could possibly be the connection of the wiring from the ignition module to the side of the distributor or the distributor/hall sender itself (have you driven over a pothole or cattle grid - silly question i know, but i went over a cattle grid in the New Forest which dislodged the connector and then popped and banged). Or check that the distributor nut is tight and isn't loose - if so timing may need to be re-done, but maybe worth checking this anyway.

The small water leak on the engine case could be a dripping from the pipe to carb - tap your finger underneath the pipe where is connects to see if it is wet. I'd then go through and check that all connections/nuts are within tolerance as these can easily be overlooked when putting a new engine in.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

hightop ratty
Trader

Post by hightop ratty »

"New" 1.9 WBX is a rebuilt from scratch second hand parts engine by a competent & experienced VW engine builder down my way (Carmarthen) from his stock of parts - after my 2.1 blew itself apart :-(

I had a quick check of the small pipe on the inlet manifold - seemed ok (would be the ideal candidate :-)

Going to have a better feel around later with a bit of luck to see if I can spot anything obvious - was trading on the w/e so not much time to check stuff properly.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

Before you go taking anything to bits I would be calling the
competent & experienced VW engine builder
and seeking their view. If it is under warranty you may invalidate it by touching it.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

hightop ratty
Trader

Post by hightop ratty »

It's going back to the VW garage that took the old one out & the new one in (after the engine was built) for investigation - can't get it in until early next week - so looking for any obvious things to look for :-)

hightop ratty
Trader

Post by hightop ratty »

I won't be taking anything off or medling - as I can bodge anything :roll:

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

Good move :ok ... sadly cobbling an assortment of previously appreciated parts together isn't necessarily the best way, even if they do know what they are doing. :(
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

hightop ratty
Trader

Post by hightop ratty »

I think the rebuild was a bit more scientific than (random parts put together - my bad description) - more a rebuild of an old engine with any worn parts replaced & my anciliaries cleaned & re-used.
The rebuilder is well respected down this neck of the woods (West Wales) & been doing it donkeys years :-)

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

A 1.9 will feel underpowered compared to a 2.1, even if both are wearing were same carburettor.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

hightop ratty
Trader

Post by hightop ratty »

It just felt a bit more under powered than I was expecting (it's been too long since I had my original 1.9 in there to remember, & probably spoilt with my 2.1) - I think it's a weak mixture / possibly needs a small timing adjustment (& I will double check my vacuum hoses & silly stuff).

It's going back into the garage next week for some adjustments & a quick look over - so hopefully a bit more va va voom (i'm treating her a bit more gently this time - 60mph cruising rather than "drive like I stole it :rofl