Have no clutch how much?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Have no clutch how much?

Post by Da dan »

Had to drive back home for 3hrs without any clutch. Poo bum few moments but all was fine. Need this fixed ASAP as need the van next weekend. What costing should I be looking at as I don’t want to be robbed blind for a rush job thanks all

Sorry. 1985 1.9dg 5gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Have no clutch how much?

Post by itchyfeet »

you can buy the 3 part clutch kit from £100 it is 2 hours labour for a garage ( £50 quid per hour back street garage) , quite simple to remove the gearbox.

A garage will cost more for the clutch becuse they will probably add a handling charge and then there is VAT on labour

To do it yourself expect to take all day but it's not too challengine as a DIY mechanics job.

I assume you know how to check it's the clutch and no something else like slave? or oil contamination from a leak?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

I wasn’t able to check it last night as it was so late but I will be checking it when I get home this evening to make sure it’s not the master cylinder or a leak etc. I just needed to know when I was phoning around just how much I should be expected to pay so watch this space and I’m sure I will be asking for help. I just wish I had time in the day to be able to do it myself but unfortunately I do not as I think is the job that I’m capable of doing just incapable of making more time. Thanks ever so much as always

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

As with all things T25 it is not always as simple as it first appears. If the CV bolts haven't been off recently they can cause delays, getting the slave cylinder off can be tricky, there's the chance of breaking the pipe.

Many garages do not like working on old cars and vans because of the above as they cannot guarantee the '2 hours' for the job so they will give an astronomical quote so you go elsewhere IF they quote at all. Also expect to pay a premium on the clutch and any other parts as they are 'obsolete' as far as the garage will be concerned. I would personally supply the 3 part clutch kit (there are 2 different sizes on the petrol models 215mm and 228mm depending on age and cc) ... https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/d ... s.html?p=2 and also a set of CV bolts ... https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/d ... r-kit.html

Where-abouts in the country are you ? (fill in your profile details :wink: )

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Leigh on sea in southeast is where I’m from. What you thinking?

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

So I’ve just checked the top up under the dash and all is fine there. Checked the movement on the slave cylinder and seems fine with no apparent leaks. It’s not slipping so don’t think it’s clutch, can’t get it in gear with engine running using the clutch peddle. Would I suddenly just get an air leak?

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

Da dan wrote: can’t get it in gear with engine running using the clutch peddle.

The input shaft has probably got stuck on a failed spigot bearing (in the end of the crank shaft) can you get the gears with the engine off ?

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... l-all.html

Cheap as chips but sadly it's a gearbox out job.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Surly though I would not be able to take it out of gear if that was the case? I can still select all the gears when engine is off and drove home without it by just using the engine revs to change gear

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

Engine off the input shaft isn't spinning.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Just to add my ten penneth worth when i lost gears in December-came on suddenly started with first then within 10 minutes had lost them all i could still select them with the engine off. After help on here and the facebook page it turned out to be a goosed master cylinder letting air in the system. Could it be that?
David.
the future is unwritten

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Thanks all. Master cylinder leaking and going to change slave as well any tips welcome.

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

See it wasn't as bad as you first thought :wink:
Master pretty easy but you have to feel your way around because of its location. Same with the slave, give the nuts/connections a good brush beforehand and give them a squirt of plusgas. I had to take mine off with the solid pipe attached and undo it in a vice.
http://campwestfalia.com/vanagon-clutch ... placement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David.
the future is unwritten

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

[THUMBS UP SIGN] thanks

paperhouselad
80-90 Mem No: 10768

Post by paperhouselad »

Hi don't know if yours is the same as 2 lt Aircooled slave cylinder, recently did ours got at it by taking the rear wheel off ( axle stands etc) and getting at it that way. A good tip when replacing is to push the bolts up through the bracket then stretch a tight fitting o ring over the threads down to the bracket this will hold the bolts in place while you slide the cylinder over them. Best use new bolts if you can get some, easier turning on the threads, good luck.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

And stainless nuts and bolts preferably - will save grief the next time :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.