1.9Dg was fine now very temperamental!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: 1.9Dg was fine now very temperamental!

Post by CJH »

PeteandNikki wrote: It’ll be interesting to see whether JK will entertain a free replacement.

They ought to. It's not a 'consumable' item - I suspect the majority of ~30 year old Pierburg carbs are still on their original valves.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Post by PeteandNikki »

Quick update.
Everything is fine with the old peirburg valve in place. Carried out the school prom run (1hr each way) with no issues whatsoever.

It wasn’t JK but Heritage that supplied the brosol carb. They sent out a new valve next day, can’t fault them for that.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

That's good, and now you have a spare valve. Have you tested it to see how well it 'clicks'?
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

Coming in right at the end, but I've found that the replacement idle shut off valves are dire.

Having had two fail I did autopsies, both had similar problem that the internals were so poorly made that they only got halfway in before they jammed, hence giving the rough idle that you have experienced.

They also lack pull power on the electromagnet. Given that electrical performance goes down when temperature increases, their pulling power decreases.

So when you first turn the key it has enough power to just about open, then just enough pull to stay open. When you shut off and restart, it is warm, so lacks the pull to overcome the rubbish internal construction, hence it comes off (or partly off).

If the old one you have ever fails I'd look for a good second hand original.
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle