New head / rebuild or replace 1.9DG?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bruce3927
80-90 Mem No: 8048

New head / rebuild or replace 1.9DG?

Post by bruce3927 »

After putting it off for ages I have attempted to replace the exhaust on my 86 1.9DG.

I already was on to a bit of a sticky wicket as one of the bolts had already been bodged some time in the past with a lump of the cylinder head cracked and a section of the casting fallen off!

This along with my butchery of the hole directly below the thermostat housing (snapped tap :cry: ) means I am having to go for plan B:

To cut a long and very tragic story short I am now looking to get the N/S cylinder head replaced.
This has got me thinking, now that the engine will be out is it the time to go further?

The van is still on its original engine, has 189,000 miles which was what was described as a top end rebuild including head skim at 88,000.
I have had a constant stubborn hesitation for about 12 months and done all the work on the carb, fuel lines, coil, distributor etc. but its still there!
I also have a nagging doubt that I might have an overheating issue as I had the thermostat housing replaced last year and one of the senders in the housing blew out under pressure on the motorway. I spotted it immediately and coasted to a stop but since then the temp has always read about the point where the light comes on and the header tank emptied itself when parked up over the winter with no marks on the drive.

So my question(s) are:

1. Replace the N/S head only?
2. Replace both heads?
3. Fully rebuild the existing engine?
4. Replace with a new DG?
5. Replace with an alternative engine?

I have always been a keen amateur and done everything myself but my most recent efforts have me defeated and I know all of the above options are beyond me. I would be looking for someone who knows what they are doing to do the work, preferably as near to Newcastle upon Tyne as possible.
1986 1.9 DG manual WBX

bruce3927

Re: New head / rebuild or replace 1.9DG?

Post by bruce3927 »

This is the old damage!Image

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
1986 1.9 DG manual WBX

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Have a word with Paul Weeding (on here), Heddon On The Wall
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

you could have that welded and retapped even without removing engine

sounds like you may need to take both heads off and do a top end refresh but if the exhaust is not off yet you should run the engine and check oil pressure to know if it needs any bottom end work, do a compression test to see top end condition.

If you are keen to DIY then do it, everybody makes mistakes, thats how you learn don't just give up.

10 years ago I had no idea what I was doing on a WBX
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

bruce3927

Post by bruce3927 »

Thanks chaps,

I suspect Paul might be getting a call, he is about 10 mins from my work as well.

You are right Itchy, I have never felt so defeated by what should be such a simple task as I have with this exhaust!
Anyway, back on the horse once you've fallen off eh!
I do think the rebuild is too big a challenge though, plenty of smaller jobs to rebuild my confidence. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Just out of interest, the exhaust is off so can't check oil pressure but I did a compression test recently with these results:
Number 1 - 10.5bar
Number 2 - 12.5
Number 3 - 11.2
Number 4 - 11.5.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
1986 1.9 DG manual WBX

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

3 bar is ths limit between but 8 in min so these seem ok for an engine thats not fresh.
does not mean you don't have a compression seal leak into the water jacket, quite common for many reasons.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks