Clutch is stuffed. Need a mechanic.recommendations?Now fixed

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

spike blonde
80-90 Mem No: 7121

Clutch is stuffed. Need a mechanic.recommendations?Now fixed

Post by spike blonde »

Hi. Having clutch woes. Have reached the limit of my ability to repair on drive. (Ie I can't drop the gearbox...hell I can't even get the master cylinder off...) so I need a mechanic... wondering if anyone can recommend a t25 friendly garage local to Formby? Much appreciated (Just hoping this is the right place to post haha)
Last edited by spike blonde on 24 Jun 2018, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
1.9dg waterboxer hitop gasure lpg conversion

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Clutch is stuffed. Need a mechanic.recommendations?

Post by Aidan »

John at 81A should be able to sort you 01704 531921

spike blonde

Post by spike blonde »

Thanks Aidan. I'll give him a go :D

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

spike blonde wrote: hell I can't even get the master cylinder off

You really do need a mechanic ... it's the slave cylinder that's mounted on the gearbox. :pimp
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

spike blonde

Post by spike blonde »

Hahaha you're not even funny... No I suppose I asked for that really :D
I appreciate I omitted a bunch of info in my o.p. but only asi knew I was at the point that my issue is probably a clutch(inside the bell housing) problem rather than an external gear linkage or slave/master problem. But since i now (Thanks to Aidan's helpful advice) have the van booked in for repairs I'll give you the long winded meandering post of my tale of clutch woe or
"how I tried to fix one problem n ended up with another"

Over the past week or so I had started to notice vibration in the clutch pedal when depressing it, some at the top none through the middle some slight cob at the bottom. Also noticed that some time it was difficult to push gear lever into selected gear more noticeably when selecting reverse. After reading my Haynes googling symptoms reading wiki on here and reading through other members clutch probs on here I set about trying to see if it was anything else but the clutch as I knew that would be a garage visit as I don't have the tools, means, knowledge or workshop to drop a gearbox out. So first off checked the gear linkage and gearstick for wear cleaned and greased. Did make selection smoother but vibration still there. Ok, checked slave cylinder (which I found was mounted to the gearbox) for wear and leaks, seemed ok checked master cylinder (shh.. it's behind the steering column) again no obvious wear or leaks. Checked transmission fluid reservoir, it was low bit still above the feeder pipe for the master cylinder, topped it back up to max.started van dipped the pedal still vibrating, attempted to select a gear, terrible screeching from back of van massive resistance from gear stick, could not select a gear... oh great. Switch off try selecting gears with no clutch. Gear stick selects all gears no prob so probably not the gear box that's the prob? More head scratching back to haynesgooglewiki. Maybe I introduced air into the system? Bleeds system puts fresh fluid in watches horrible black fluid come out of slave cylinder...runs clear. Starts van no change won't select horrible noise from back.. more swearing and head scratching.. at this point I pretty much felt it was the clutch that had gone but for my own piece of mind and given that the only thing I had really done between it vibrating in the pedal but still selecting gears was add some brake fluid I figured I should try swapping the slave cylinder for a new one in case me adding fluid had caused some thing that was on the verge of failing to fail. Slave arrives not easy to remove but manage it without stripping or breaking anything fit new one fill and bleed. Fire up van no change to problem. Ok last thing I can do before giving up and sending to garage. Swap out master cylinder. Part arrives two bolts release no prob.. hydraulic pipe...no chance seized solid no amount of release spray spanners or grips is shifting it. At that point knowing I'm at the stage of either completely rounding of the head or snapping the pipe I threw in the towel and posted the above cry for help,I had already at that point drawn the conclusion that it was possibly the release bearing or the clutch itself that had failed I just wanted the piece of mind that the two components that (I felt) I could replace and check wernt responsible for my problems...
And so my tale of woe comes to an end...are you not entertained? :rollin :D :D

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

spike blonde wrote: And so my tale of woe comes to an end...are you not entertained? :rollin :D :D

Yes, thankyou...... :)

Hydraulic clutches.... :roll:

Cordialement,

:ok