Fuel Tank Type, Return Line and More.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Andyroo
80-90 Mem No: 16758

Re: Fuel Tank Type, Return Line and More.

Post by Andyroo »

937carrera wrote:
Ant-t wrote:And for the breather tubes, you might be able to reuse the hard plastic tubes and make up all the unions from the tank to the breathers with new fuel hose cut to size from the old crusty ones you'll be taking off.

+1

That's what I did on my WBX van. I'll need to check my CU van tank as I'm sure mine had a connected return ???

Oh. ?

Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

bigherb wrote:Not easily and they are expensive if you can find them some on Amazon & Ebay. The part number is 321 201 890
I use cable grommets as a standoff.

Yeah, they are expensive. For what they do I'll pinch your idea and use grommets. Maybe a bit of heat shrink too.

Thanks.

Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

Very helpful.
He's even painted the small solid pipes from the expansion tanks. Are these just sections of brake pipe?

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

They rust like brake pipe. The left hand one on mine is broken and a previous owner ran a long flexible pipe from what was left. I think I'll just replace the final section with some brake pipe, joined with fuel hose.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by izzybarnard »

All right buddy.
I took a trip down to a local hydraulics and fitting company and got 6mm pipe and sone 1/4" bsp blanks + bits of fuel hose etc for a tenner.
Once I'd dropped in the conversation of what it was for and showed him a photo of the T25 he was like soft putty in the hands.

Cheers
Izzy

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

izzybarnard wrote:All right buddy.
I took a trip down to a local hydraulics and fitting company and got 6mm pipe and sone 1/4" bsp blanks + bits of fuel hose etc for a tenner.

Where do the 1/4" bsp blanks go?
Does everything just push together without any clamps?
Do you know if the expansion tanks are just for vapour or does fuel actually move up the tubes?

Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

937carrera wrote:They rust like brake pipe. The left hand one on mine is broken and a previous owner ran a long flexible pipe from what was left. I think I'll just replace the final section with some brake pipe, joined with fuel hose.

The exact same has been done to mine. I'm just not comfortable with a bodged fuel system. The pipes are a bit of a mess.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Andyroo wrote:
izzybarnard wrote:All right buddy.

Where do the 1/4" bsp blanks go?
Does everything just push together without any clamps?
Do you know if the expansion tanks are just for vapour or does fuel actually move up the tubes?
Yes the pipes should just be a push fit.
Yes fuel does expand into the tanks.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

I'll take a closer look when I get round to doing mine. Remember, the VW design has fuel hose connecting the metal breather pipe to a plastic breather pipe.

If going down a metal replacement route then steel pipes will be more difficult to get a flange on, if using non steel are you going to braze the pipe at the end to fix it to the tank ?

Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

bigherb wrote: Yes the pipes should just be a push fit.
Yes fuel does expand into the tanks.

I thought anything to do with fuel would be flexible hoses with clamps etc. for a well sealed system. Not just push fittings. Even the main filler pipe is just pushed through a grommet style seal. I'm surprised we don't get leaks. Scary. :-)

Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

937carrera wrote:I'll take a closer look when I get round to doing mine. Remember, the VW design has fuel hose connecting the metal breather pipe to a plastic breather pipe.

If going down a metal replacement route then steel pipes will be more difficult to get a flange on, if using non steel are you going to braze the pipe at the end to fix it to the tank ?

I'll strip and measure the old one and take it from there. Not sure why they have the metal pipes at all, instead of just hose along the whole length.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

The fuel in the vent pipes isn't under pressure, gravity works to drain any fuel away. I suppose VW chose metal for these sections because unfixed flexy pipes can chafe, metal was thought to be longer lasting and access for replacement would be a pain.

Amazing how the jointing hoses perish and the Shrek ears dissolve into nothingness, they obviously didn't think that hard about those.

Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

I guess they didn't expect people to still be driving them almost 40 years later. Or they did, and knew they could make a fortune out of us. :-)