2 Trailing Arms replacement - Advice required

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: 2 Trailing Arms replacement - Advice required

Post by maxstu »

Geometry set up is shown in this picture. Note on mount nearest has a vertical slot, whilst furthest has horizontal slot. When doing mine l just pinched each bolt up centally in respective slot. Then to torque setting.
Probably incorrect but unless every other attached component is in perfect conditon then not going to cause much worry to me. 8)
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Re: 2 Trailing Arms replacement - Advice required (photos)

Post by nesty »

Here is what it failed on. I have jabbed this very hard with spike this is all I can jab out. I understand there might be possible more corrosion. The holeing is just in the photographed area the rest seems solid. I wouldn't say these are completely rotten all the way through.
Looking at these photos is this complete replacement, or is there a safe repair allowed to these which could be fairly cheaper. I stress I don't want to risk my life, though if a legitimate weld repair could be allowed which is cheaper, then naturally I would not mind exploring that option!
Offside

Nearside
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=8182554

I'm pretty sure I have seen old posts by plasticman where a new section was welded in. However, with where those holes are, I suspect the repair will need to be done with the arms off the van. to avoid damaging the bushing and for access purposes.

If you can do the grunt work, all you need is a competant welder, heavy gauge welding is easier than light gauge.

update - just noticed the thread I linked to was yours from a year ago, sorry just shows how important it is to nip these things in the bud. :(
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

nesty

Post by nesty »

I think my post last year might of been a bit wrong, I think it was a natural design hole the MOT centre didn't fail it & these holes are in a completely different place.
Could the arm be dropped down and worked upon or am I talking rubbish?

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I’d expect the bore for the bush is in a similar condition to mine. If so, not weldable. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

Not much to add really. Sorry....

The arms drop down at the back once the wheel is off. Wouldnt like to comment if its repairable or not. If it can be done A repair will only keep it going for so long. Buy new and know its done proper.

Id be interested to see if a repair would work to keep you going till you decide to buy new, which is going to have to happen
Last edited by crazyhorse on 15 May 2018, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

nesty wrote:I think my post last year might of been a bit wrong, I think it was a natural design hole the MOT centre didn't fail it & these holes are in a completely different place.

Not done it but I expect you will be able to take the weight off a corner and "just" remove the front fixings to have a look. After that it all depends on the condition of the attachment points (Rogers are not pretty), if you can do the welding yourself, or have someone who can do it where the van is

nesty

Post by nesty »

937carrera wrote:
nesty wrote:I think my post last year might of been a bit wrong, I think it was a natural design hole the MOT centre didn't fail it & these holes are in a completely different place.

Not done it but I expect you will be able to take the weight off a corner and "just" remove the front fixings to have a look. After that it all depends on the condition of the attachment points (Rogers are not pretty), if you can do the welding yourself, or have someone who can do it where the van is

I asked the MOT centre about the mount points and they said they were ok. It seems like this bit of the arm is the issue.

I know this mobile mechanic, he lowered my T25 last year done a great job. I am going to email him and ask him. His labour rate is fair and this could be done in my road as it's not public highway.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Plesae take note of the "just" comment. They can be a real challenge to get the bolts undone and often have to be cut off. Have a read around, including on the resto threads

nesty

Post by nesty »

937carrera wrote:Plesae take note of the "just" comment. They can be a real challenge to get the bolts undone and often have to be cut off. Have a read around, including on the resto threads

Ok thanks. I do wonder if just a one time off and new replacement all in, might be the way forward though financially might be like passing a gallstone! :shock:

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

nesty wrote: Ok thanks. I do wonder if just a one time off and new replacement all in, might be the way forward though financially might be like passing a gallstone! :shock:

I know, unless you chuck it at a garage, either way I assume you're going to be doing the labour to remove and it's then up to you to decide if you can / want to spend the money on new ones. Service from Brickwerks is great so you won't lose much time if you do decide to go new.

People have given their opinions, only you can decide :ok

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Do it right, do it once.

You'll need to have the camber and alignment reset as well so you can add £125+ for that job.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

paperhouselad
80-90 Mem No: 10768

Post by paperhouselad »

Had a small section welded into one my trailing arms, though this was slightly further from the bush probably 30 mm, like yours the rest of the area was all sound. This was about 5 years ago and cost me £30 at a garage. Worth checking that option out with a welder.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

273233708070 ebay item number. New £200. Near side. Don't know seller.
Honorary "Dave" 

nesty

Post by nesty »

Sir Brixalot wrote:273233708070 ebay item number. New £200. Near side. Don't know seller.

I have seen this one, seller bought the price down a bit in last day or so probably has JK slashed their prices until Bank hoilday. I got 2 brand new ones from JK in the no VAT sale, which I thought was a decent price!