Engine shutting down

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Engine shutting down

Post by maxstu »

My 2.1 is now suffering same issue. How did four hours test drive finish up? Successfully l hope.
Are you able to give more details regarding removal of vac hose? Mine ran fine for a year with all vac hoses in place. So lm struggling to understand removal of one sorted out your issue.
Thanks
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Reading some of these WBX DJ posts has confirmed my thoughts that this particular model is a bag of worms in respect of diagnosis as it is capable of running after a style with all sorts of different symptoms - sometimes intermittent and often difficult to attribute. Or as in my case when I first become a proud (sometimes foolish I felt) owner the engine just randomly stopping any time between 4 and 56 miles into a journey showing all signs of life but bluntly refusing to run until the next morning. Eleven recoveries :roll: Eventually tracked down to the ECU.

I do find the Bentley Publishers manual (ISBN number 1;: 0-8376-0336-6) indispensible and wonder how many other hapless DJ WBX'ers own one. Although I do find the Haynes manual useful also.

I would love to see a fault tracing chart or diagram showing the sequence of starting and running showing the way that the various sensors are read by the ECU and stuff like the Auxiliary air regulator etc. A picture can often replace a thousand words...

There have been times when were it a horse it would have been carted off to the glue factory but the joy of getting it running well just seems to make it all worth while...
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

the DJ manual is on SyncroAndy's website Syncrosport http://syncrosport.com/info/manual/

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanks for that Aidan
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

salgarfi
80-90 Mem No: 9241

Post by salgarfi »

maxstu wrote:My 2.1 is now suffering same issue. How did four hours test drive finish up? Successfully l hope.
Are you able to give more details regarding removal of vac hose? Mine ran fine for a year with all vac hoses in place. So lm struggling to understand removal of one sorted out your issue.
Thanks
Stuart

You're right! The removal of one vacuum hose only worked for a short while. Also, as with you, the van drove 'well' with both hoses in place previously. But in short. The van seemed alright after the single hose was removed and I went on my four hour day trip - no problems. I also took the camper around locally for a bit. But just yesterday, around 10 minutes from home, she died. Complete sudden loss of power, and she wouldn't, hasn't started again. She's in my local garage, but I really don't know what to think or do. I'd like to think that it's something simple like a failed fuel pump - I live in hope!

Sal
1990 2.1 Ltr WBX AutoSleeper High Top

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Capacator breaking down inside the ecu? These things were't meant to last this long and the old-style wrapped film capacators (the cylindrical can style) eventually start to short internally, then they boil and explode.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

PS the DJ does need both vacuum tubes connected either side of the diaphragm capsule on the distributor...

salgarfi

Post by salgarfi »

silverbullet wrote:PS the DJ does need both vacuum tubes connected either side of the diaphragm capsule on the distributor...

Hmmm.., the VW chappie was quite sure that this wasn't needed, and the camper was running OK (until it died!). But as you say, maybe the capacitor might be shot. But all in all, I'm well confused!

salgarfi

Post by salgarfi »

PS: The ECU has already been changed.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Earth connection on LHS head, intermittent contact breakage due to crispy old wiring?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran