1.6td Jx suddenly loosing a lot of oil

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

si macc
80-90 Mem No: 8124

1.6td Jx suddenly loosing a lot of oil

Post by si macc »

Hi all,

Got a seriously unhappy 1.6td Jx at the moment. Was running fine and just away on the bank holiday so thought I would be proactive and do an oil change (inc filter) with Halfords 10w40 mineral (used before on previous engine and was ok) and a general check up. Noticed there was a reasonable oil leaky from what looked like around the inlet manifold (the Allen bolts on nearest to the belt - see pic). Made it down here ok and no noticeable trails of oil but out today I noticed there was a constant stream of oil coming out the back. Has used a fair amount of oil and the underside around the inlet manifold/turbo is very oily. Don’t want to start disconnecting anything to diagnose until I get home. Going to stop off and get some more oil to nurse it home. Currently only a bit of smoke on a cold start and seems fine after then.

The engine is a “recon” (ie. budget) fitted about 3 years ago as previous engine had engine issues (heavy smoking) before and thought was the turbo but that didn’t appear to the be the cause. The mechanic who replaced the engine said if it continues to smoke then increase the size of the oil return for the turbo, not sure if this was rubbish or not!

Any pointer on where to start would be really helpful, especially if any of the above sounds familiar.

Before oil change

Current state
T25 Westfalia Poptop 1.6TD JX

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Re: 1.6td Jx suddenly loosing a lot of oil

Post by dave friday »

Morning,my guess is leaks from the cam cover gasket (I replaced mine 3 days ago ) 8 nuts hold the cam cover on..
If you want to replace it come back for more tips.
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

si macc

Post by si macc »

Ok, so inspected this morning and it’s properly gushing from the turbo. Guessing a gasket or seal has gone? Looks like we’ll be making our way home on the back of a recovery truck... wouldn’t be the first time! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I don't know the JX, but from general knowledge just have a little nosey around if you can. Could be as simple as an oil feed line that has worked loose & needs nipping up.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Check the oil pipe on the top of the turbo, most likely that

si macc

Post by si macc »

Cheers guys for the reply, I was hoping it would be something simple so fingers crossed. Going to take the lift home as will be nice to relax after a busy day at a theme park with a 2 year old!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk