1.6 JX overheating and water pump replacement

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dfoster84
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.6 JX overheating and water pump replacement

Post by dfoster84 »

Hello all,

So my 1985 1.6TD just threw all of its coolant out of the water pump. Didn't realise immediately, engine overheated, steam coming off the engine for a good 10 minutes after I shut it off. 2 questions:
Can I change the water pump easily or does the timing belt have to be changed?
Is it likely I've caused permanent damage?
Thanks
David

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Re: 1.6 JX overheating and water pump replacement

Post by jas915 »

Water pump runs off the aux belt not timing belt,the pump is just held on with 3bolts I think to the block,easy enough to remove/replace.think you need to loosen or remove alternator first for access.would think the bearing has failed leading to leak,or check for loose or split pipes.
As for the over heating you maybe won't know u till you run it again with new pump,could check oil for mixing but would think it will be clean of mayo.
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

dfoster84

Post by dfoster84 »

Thanks for that.

How do I remove the alternator? I've undone the long bolt on the left hand side and pushed it out the way but I can't see what to do from there.

Thanks
David

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

so you have removed the bolt it pivots on? there is another nut and bolt on rhs( the part to adjust the belt tension) you need to remove this then alternator will lift out the way. then there are 3 bolts which hold the alternator bracket on top of the water pump and run through the pump to hold it onto the block.
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

Nick Stroud

Post by Nick Stroud »

I'm having similar problems with overheating though I have lost no coolant and have changed the thermostat with no improvement.

The bleed screw on the radiator proves with coolant so I don't suspect air but does not warm up even when the temp gauge gets to full scale. The return hose from the radiator to the pump housing gets slightly warm but not as hot as I would expect. The radiator fan does not kick in as the radiator is remaining cold. The front and rear heaters are getting hot coolant. 

I'm thinking it maybe the pump is no longer man enough to provide the required pressure/flow. When I rev the engine the coolant level in the expansion tank drops as expected and the pump is turning freely with no evident play.

Any ideas?

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

The radiator fan kicks in when it is very very warm. Certainly not in this weather.

If the stat is not opening then of course the radiator will remain cool.

JX take a while to get warm.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love