fuel pump / fuel delivery problem

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

martymart
80-90 Mem No: 13132

fuel pump / fuel delivery problem

Post by martymart »

Help!

The van has been stood a couple of months waiting for a new clutch which we fitted at the weekend. Clutch fitted all Ok but the van now wont start. It ran fine before the clutch went. I've got a spark but the pump wont draw fuel through. I've checked the pipes and they seem fine if I put petrol straight in the carb it fires but only burns off that small amount of fuel and then stops I fitted a new fuel pump yesterday but the same problems persist ie the pump isn't drawing any more through its got fuel in the tank and the fuel runs from the inline filter when I disconnect it so fuel seems to be leaving the tank that far.
I can blow through the hose so it doesn't seem blocked.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Martin
all we do today is make memories for tomorrow

87 tintop 1.9DG engine

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: fuel pump / fuel delivery problem

Post by jrt »

Is it a manual fuel pump, if so did you change the pushrod as well ? I can't be much help really but when i changed my lines/fuel pump it took a bit of cranking to get a good flow through to fire it up. I even resorted to sucking a bit of fuel through to get rid of any air.
David.
the future is unwritten

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=148585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David.
the future is unwritten

martymart
80-90 Mem No: 13132

Post by martymart »

Cheers David

I got it going by wrapping the hose in the engine bay with tape to ensure no air leaks then disconnected the hose where it couples to the rigid fuel line at the bulkhead and fed that end fuel from an aerosol cap while the missis turned the motor. Surprisingly it took a cap and half of fuel before the flexi tube and new pump were filled but it then started and was able to draw fuel through whilst running.

I think the whole fuel line from filter to pump was dry and the pump just couldn't draw enough fuel to get the thing started. I'm going to change the taped hose from the carb and the pushrod to the pump just to be sure but its running fine for now.

Cheers

Martin
all we do today is make memories for tomorrow

87 tintop 1.9DG engine