Engine fires but dies immediately?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bustrucket
80-90 Mem No: 15932

Engine fires but dies immediately?

Post by bustrucket »

Hi all

Not sure if this belongs in Mechanical or the Electrical section, I'll put it here for now. Anyway, this is a DG engine I'm trying to get running. Engine has been rebuilt but I have never had it running.

It will fire more or less as soon as you turn the key, but it dies immediately. It will only "run" for about half a second, even if the starter is still turning the engine over, and once it dies it stays dead. However, give it a few minutes and I can repeat the process, it'll fire again almost straight away then die again. I don't think it's a fuel problem, fuel is getting to the carb and the behaviour is the same even if I pour petrol down the carb beforehand.

Static timing is set, I'm getting 12V to the coil, and the primary and secondary resistance is in spec according to the manual. Compression is good across all cylinders.

I found a copy of a VW carb/ignition troubleshooting manual but I could only try a couple of things from it - checking voltage between connector 2 & 4 of the control module (getting 12V) and voltage between the two outside connectors to the hall sender (manual says at least 5V, I'm getting 12V).

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this or what to look for next? Unfortunately since this is a DF-DG swap, I don't have much in the way of known good components to play with...

Thanks

David
Even the plastics gone rusty!