1.9DG Engine replacement options

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hollow88
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9DG Engine replacement options

Post by hollow88 »

My 1.9DG engine has finally had it. I dont have the expertise to rebuild, so the only option is to drop it out and get a new one.

I have found a 2.1MV engine on ebay, but i'm advised it's no good for me. Why would this be, as I read in this forum that this engine can run on the DG carb?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T25-2-1-W ... SwFyhaHR3c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Howard
1984 1.9DG Panel Van

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: 1.9DG Engine replacement options

Post by Ian Hulley »

If your van is a late cooling system 1.9DG then the MV should be a straight fit ... the early cooling system has to be swapped or adulterated to fit a 2.1 engine due to the oil cooler/warmer arrangement fitted to the 2.1 engines. If you sell the injection gubbins and run it on a Pierburg you don't need to change anything.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

hollow88

Post by hollow88 »

Thanks for the response Ian. How should i determine if it is early or late? It's a B-plate. I havent come across a DJ2.1 yet, but if it were to turn up would that be a better option?
Howard
1984 1.9DG Panel Van

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

hollow88 wrote:Thanks for the response Ian. How should i determine if it is early or late? It's a B-plate. I havent come across a DJ2.1 yet, but if it were to turn up would that be a better option?

B Plate is early so more complicated to swap ... put the age and details of your van in your signature so we know and can better help you in future ... early systems have narrower front to back pipes and a totally different lay-out of hoses etc. If you wanted to make it fit you could a) swap the engine plumbing to early or b) swap the van plumbing to late. You also have the issue of the DOPS oil pressure system fitted to the late vans (i.e. inc 2.1) compared to the single sensor system fitted on the early vans. Temperature gauge sender etc etc is also different BUT others have made the change (Shepster for example).

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

hollow88

Post by hollow88 »

OK. Got it. And checked the block as set out on an historic 8090 thread... it's early for sure..

Since i have the cooling system from the outgoing early 1.9DG then, I can retrofit them (quite literally) to a 2.1DJ or MV, right?

In fact, what could i not strip off and use from the broken DG?
Howard
1984 1.9DG Panel Van

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

hollow88 wrote:Since i have the cooling system from the outgoing early 1.9DG then, I can retrofit them (quite literally) to a 2.1DJ or MV, right?

In fact, what could i not strip off and use from the broken DG?

You still have the issues as I said ..

You also have the issue of the DOPS oil pressure system fitted to the late vans (i.e. inc 2.1) compared to the single sensor system fitted on the early vans. Temperature gauge sender etc etc is also different BUT others have made the change (Shepster for example).

I suggest you PM Paul (Shepster) and talk to him ... he's a good lad and will certainly help you. :ok

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

it will fit it with the early cooling system, the base WBX all have the same dimensions.
The only exception as said is the oil cooler would need removing ( there are people running without in UK) or you would need to T into some coolant pipes to connect it. To remove the oil cooler you need to remove the long oil filter pipe and fit the short oil filter pipe.

The second oil pressure switch on the MV you will not need, early van just needs one, just don't connect the second.

If you want to keep the injection system you will have lots of other work to do so keeping the carb and selling the injection system is easiest.

Problems you may find other than the oil cooler:

exhaust studs may break when you remove the exhaust to fit your early exhaust, if you want to keep the early exhaust you will need to swap over the engine carrier, I'm not sure if a late exhaust fits an early van well ?

your early water pump and thermostat housing may not want to come off, these thermostst housings are obsolete and studs often siezed.

I have seen quite a few vege engines poorly repaired so there is no guarantee that this engine has a long life left, I always ask myself why people remove perfectly good engines? 1K is not unreasonable if it's known good but it's been sitting for a year, I assume with no coolant and maybe not properly drained and so internal corrosion could have set in.

Would I but a second hand MV off ebay for £1K that I could not see running off somebody who never ever sold anything on ebay ...no
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

hollow88

Post by hollow88 »

itchyfeet has a valid point, and its going to be sensible to wait for the right engine to become available, or -failing that- go for a warranted reconditioned one.

The old DG has done me well for the last 12 years, and despite the recently occurring terminal gasket failure it still turns fires and runs sweet when cold... For this reason it seems a shame to ditch it, but it's had a coolant leak all that time since I acquired it with the van (from ebay funnily enough), so the condition of the headbolts is likely to be a shocker.

Bearing in mind the engine will need to be stripped down and re-assembled by someone more adept than me, is it worth taking a punt at the rebuild before committing to the new engine? Obviously, I am prepared for the worst.
Howard
1984 1.9DG Panel Van

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

As discussed above you can fit a late engine using early cooling system as they are the same really.

I managed to fit the oil cooler/warmer into my system but you will need the specific metal pipes that come with the 2.1 motor.

I recently bought a 2.1 as a spare and sold on the injection system to recoup some funds so that is a viable option.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss details.

Regards.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

hollow88

Post by hollow88 »

thanks Shepster, ive got a problem with my account in that my PMs don't ever leave my outbox.. i hope thats easier to resolve than an engine swap. Hope to PM you soon.
Howard
1984 1.9DG Panel Van

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

PMs don't leave your outbox until they are read, if you have some in your outbox the recipient never read them.

you say OK when cold what happens hot?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

itchyfeet wrote:Would I but a second hand MV off ebay for £1K that I could not see running off somebody who never ever sold anything on ebay ...no
+1 on that !!
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

When fitting a late engine into early van, IMHO it's much easier/cheaper to convert the engine to early than converting the van to late. If you don't have a donor van, it'll cost a fortune to get all the required parts. People will argue otherwise, and I get their points about early hose availability etc, but how often do you need to replace them, if ever? Swap water pump and thermostat housing over as an assembly, fit the little Brickwerks silicone joining hose on LHS head to stat house. Inspect, derust, treat and paint steel water pipes across engine while they're off. If exhaust, hanger and moustache are still on MV, leave them on. Fit DG dizzy, and time it to around 10° for a bit more pep (no danger of pinking on regular fuel as it's low compression - that's another argument that I've probably started!)
I converted an early van to DJ, and fitted a Laminova oil cooler in the main coolant hose under the coil. Works better than the stock one, and looks pretty cool too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

hollow88

Post by hollow88 »

itchyfeet wrote:PMs don't leave your outbox until they are read, if you have some in your outbox the recipient never read them.

you say OK when cold what happens hot?

Hot = lots of smoke and burning oil! Haven’t dared get it back up to running temp since I lost the water..
Howard
1984 1.9DG Panel Van

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

So its no good to drive then
might as well have a go

make sure its full of coolamt and leave it idling, it takes maybe 20 mins to get hot enough to open thermostat see what happens, shut it off if it boils or smokes.

if it does then you might try fixing it yourself but bear in mind most recons are exchange they won't want a pile of bits.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks