Stiff gear changes

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bradders89
80-90 Mem No: 10541

Stiff gear changes

Post by bradders89 »

My 4 speed box is getting harder to change gear. I can find gears no problem but just getting into the gears is the problem. It's stiff to change and it won't just slot into gear. Seems to be worse when warm.

Is my gear linkage at fault or does it need a oil change or could it be the box it's self?

It's a recon box about 5 or 6 years ago and bolted onto a Subaru motor.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Stiff gear changes

Post by Aidan »

I'd recommend an oil change, should be done every 2-3 years and give it a molyslip treatment GM6RA, the drainplug magnet will give you an idea of wear level since last oil change, check the cup and ball and protective boots are in good condition and check through the linkage, plenty of info on the wiki.
Does it select okay with engine off ?
It sounds a bit like a spigot bearing issue but the sealed bearing that is used in the Scooby conversion doesn't generally cause a problem, certainly not the skf one that RJES uses

bradders89

Post by bradders89 »

It's still stiff with engine off. There's no noises coming from the gearbox.

I was planning in renewing all the bushes in the linkage and hope it would solve the issue.

What oil do you recommend for the gearbox?

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

bradders89 wrote:It's still stiff with engine off. There's no noises coming from the gearbox.

I was planning in renewing all the bushes in the linkage and hope it would solve the issue.

What oil do you recommend for the gearbox?

I've just had mine changed using the gl4 grade that Brickwerks sell, feels silly smooth now.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/d ... litre.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Silly smooth is not something I hear much in regards to T3 vans. Or silky even ;-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

bayanddoka
80-90 Mem No: 16227

Post by bayanddoka »

slowcoach wrote:Silly smooth is not something I hear much in regards to T3 vans. Or silky even ;-)

Had same problem as OP in my doka, gear change fine when stationary, engine off. Nightmare gear change when moving, new master and slave clutch cylinders sorted right out.

Pump the clutch a few times before gear change, if gear change is then good, that's the problem, if not, you've ruled on cause out!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradders89

Post by bradders89 »

Haven't given the clutch or hydrolics a thought! Was just assuming it was linkage or old oil causing it. Will have to look at it at the weekend.