Clutch/gearbox

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Freddievan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Clutch/gearbox

Post by Freddievan »

T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Problem started initially as a kind of whirring sound - more prominent in 3rd gear - a bit like the sound of an old bus. The sound has got progressively worse but also gearchange has quickly become difficult - not engaging with first at all now :( The sound is like something scraping against the surface of something spinning (really difficult to explain) and is also audible when in neutral.

Just driven him home from a couple of days in the Peak District. The route home is particularly hilly and winding and has therefore been quite traumatic :(

Help!
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Clutch/gearbox

Post by Aidan »

4 speed or 5 speed ?

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Having seen your previous post about oil on the driveway ,has the gearbox oil level been checked ?

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

Aidan wrote:4 speed or 5 speed ?

5 speed.
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

Cecil wrote:Having seen your previous post about oil on the driveway ,has the gearbox oil level been checked ?

Erm... the gearbox has oil? :oops:

I've certainly never checked this. Would this cause the issues that I've described?
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

There is an oil filler/level bung on the side of the gearbox ,access is hampered by the position of the gear linkage rod where it connects to the gearbox.A 17 mm hexagonal tool is needed to undo it,it may be corroded in and require such measures as welding a bolt to it to remove it! Would be worth looking where the driveshafts exit the gearbox and where the gearbox joins the engine for signs of where oil may have leaked out. If it has and led to the problems you have then i suspect there is only a slim chance that repairs to the leaks and putting in oil will be enough to rectify it.The gearbox requires the correct grade of GL4 only Gearoil !
Goes without saying really, but if it is short of oil it’s going to suffer further damage very quickly!

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

Cecil wrote:There is an oil filler/level bung on the side of the gearbox ,access is hampered by the position of the gear linkage rod where it connects to the gearbox.A 17 mm hexagonal tool is needed to undo it,it may be corroded in and require such measures as welding a bolt to it to remove it! Would be worth looking where the driveshafts exit the gearbox and where the gearbox joins the engine for signs of where oil may have leaked out. If it has and led to the problems you have then i suspect there is only a slim chance that repairs to the leaks and putting in oil will be enough to rectify it.The gearbox requires the correct grade of GL4 only Gearoil !
Goes without saying really, but if it is short of oil it’s going to suffer further damage very quickly!

Thanks for that, Cecil. I've booked it in to a garage and the mechanic "thinks" it is likely the clutch that's damaged. I won't be driving it other than to the garage which is no more than a couple of miles away. Fingers crossed :(
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

The clutch not fully disengaging leads to crunching /difficulty selecting a gear when stationary (normally1st gear) if a gear can be selected easier stationary whilst the engine is switched off that points to a clutch fault. If you find you can get 1st gear with the engine off I think your mechanic is right about the clutch.
Clutch will be relatively cheep to rectify compared to the gearbox.
If the gearbox oil level has not been checked ,get that checked at the same time.

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

Cecil wrote:The clutch not fully disengaging leads to crunching /difficulty selecting a gear when stationary (normally1st gear) if a gear can be selected easier stationary whilst the engine is switched off that points to a clutch fault. If you find you can get 1st gear with the engine off I think your mechanic is right about the clutch.
Clutch will be relatively cheep to rectify compared to the gearbox.
If the gearbox oil level has not been checked ,get that checked at the same time.

Now I'm very concerned. I tried putting the van into gear with engine off and it won't engage. Would you recommend I get the van towed to the garage? Also... worst case scenario?
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

can you engage reverse gear and 2nd gear ?

if so then drop the oil and see what the drain plug magnet has to tell you, my guess is massive build up of fines, and some needle rollers, 1st gear needle bearing collapsed and full rebuild necessary, worst case scenario is £2k plus

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

Aidan wrote:can you engage reverse gear and 2nd gear ?

if so then drop the oil and see what the drain plug magnet has to tell you, my guess is massive build up of fines, and some needle rollers, 1st gear needle bearing collapsed and full rebuild necessary, worst case scenario is £2k plus

I'm not engaging anything. Just gonna get it to the garage next week and then call at the doctors on the way home for some anti-depressants :cry:
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

Can you engage gears with engine off ?

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

Aidan wrote:Can you engage gears with engine off ?

No, I tried yesterday with engine off and couldn't engage any gears. The van has been stood since Thursday on my drive following a harrowing 40 mile drive from Edale to my house where the problem of engaging gears became quickly progressively worse. By the time I reached half-way home I couldn't engage 1st gear. and other gears - including reverse - were difficult to engage.
T25 1991 1915cc petrol