twin 40 carbs on a 2.1 mv engine.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

happy van
80-90 Mem No: 0

twin 40 carbs on a 2.1 mv engine.

Post by happy van »

thinking of fitting twin 40/45s to my dj engine.what are the best manifolds or the cheapest manifolds to use and whats the best throttle linages to you thanks.
Last edited by happy van on 31 Mar 2018, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: twin 40 carbs on a dj engine.

Post by Aidan »

I would say don't do it the DJ disi needs a plenum chamber vacuum to balance the throttle body vacuum, if you want to go carb then the well tested route is to use the 2e3 and the single vacuum advance unit from a dg disi or the dg disi itself
I have a spare used 2E3 carb, inlet manifold and dg disi, and the Syncro carb spacer plate, but I don't think I have a 2wd spacer plate but they are available I think

happy van
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by happy van »

the reason im thinking of twin carbs is that I hate the pierburg carb.had nothing but trouble with it and most people say the single weber is not that good.so I thought twin 40s would be a good rout to go down thanks. :run

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I have read that people aren't happy with the single Weber......... seems absolutely fine on my WBX
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Just popped in to say that a properly sorted Peirburg is a very good carb. I have "sorted" them on my (ex) T25 DG and on 2 x Sciroccos.

I've never done this route myself, but many on here have been VERY happy with the full re-con service offered by Bromyard VW and it's cheaper (and will give better MPG) than twin 40s :shock: :shock:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/carburetto ... -9-dg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheaper than a Bromyard refurb. Just sayin'...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

edwyn

Re: twin 40 carbs on a 2.1 mv engine.

Post by edwyn »

I bought one of these so called replacements for the Pierburg carburettor on my T25 at the same time as the engine was changed. It was soon sent back for a refund. This thing made by Brosul in Brazil is a complete carve up of a carburettor and uses the bottom end off a Mk2 Golf 2e2 carburettor and the top end is from a 2e3 version on a Vauxhall. There is no solenoid valve to shut the thing down and control the fuel flow, the choke unit is the incorrect shape/design and fouls the throttle bar, the step down segments for the throttle actuator/fast idle provide for incorrect step down idle speeds with lower speeds and incorrect time intervals and there is simply no channel heater. Apart from that, the emulsion tubes are incorrect. The whole thing is a mess and I am surprised that Simon Baxter of Brickwerks is willing to sell such rubbish. He did used to have a reputation for looking after the customer as a priority but it seems that he has gone down the same road as the other Internet sellers. Now earns more on-line than in the workshop.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Apart from the last bit of comment.. That's an interesting observation of the brosal.
I still have 100% faith in a Bromyard restoration....

And Brickwerks customer relationship.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

george2490
80-90 Mem No: 14339

Post by george2490 »

:run
2.0 CU

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

edwyn wrote:I bought one of these so called replacements for the Pierburg carburettor on my T25 at the same time as the engine was changed. It was soon sent back for a refund. This thing made by Brosul in Brazil is a complete carve up of a carburettor and uses the bottom end off a Mk2 Golf 2e2 carburettor and the top end is from a 2e3 version on a Vauxhall. There is no solenoid valve to shut the thing down and control the fuel flow, the choke unit is the incorrect shape/design and fouls the throttle bar, the step down segments for the throttle actuator/fast idle provide for incorrect step down idle speeds with lower speeds and incorrect time intervals and there is simply no channel heater. Apart from that, the emulsion tubes are incorrect. The whole thing is a mess and I am surprised that Simon Baxter of Brickwerks is willing to sell such rubbish. He did used to have a reputation for looking after the customer as a priority but it seems that he has gone down the same road as the other Internet sellers. Now earns more on-line than in the workshop.
Not entirely sure we've heard the whole story here. You had a Bromyard refurb in 2015 which you seemed delighted with, so why buy a Brosal? You say you were able to return it for a refund as you were unhappy with it, so why the hostility toward Brickwerks? From your posts you seem to have a low opinion of (or at least doubts about) the Brosal prior to purchase. Yet many people report very satisfactory operation of the Brosal unit, with no fitting issues. I wonder what caused you to have such a differing experience.
What carb are you running now?

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

ajsimmo wrote:
edwyn wrote:I bought one of these so called replacements for the Pierburg carburettor on my T25 at the same time as the engine was changed. It was soon sent back for a refund. This thing made by Brosul in Brazil is a complete carve up of a carburettor and uses the bottom end off a Mk2 Golf 2e2 carburettor and the top end is from a 2e3 version on a Vauxhall. There is no solenoid valve to shut the thing down and control the fuel flow, the choke unit is the incorrect shape/design and fouls the throttle bar, the step down segments for the throttle actuator/fast idle provide for incorrect step down idle speeds with lower speeds and incorrect time intervals and there is simply no channel heater. Apart from that, the emulsion tubes are incorrect. The whole thing is a mess and I am surprised that Simon Baxter of Brickwerks is willing to sell such rubbish. He did used to have a reputation for looking after the customer as a priority but it seems that he has gone down the same road as the other Internet sellers. Now earns more on-line than in the workshop.
Not entirely sure we've heard the whole story here. You had a Bromyard refurb in 2015 which you seemed delighted with, so why buy a Brosal? You say you were able to return it for a refund as you were unhappy with it, so why the hostility toward Brickwerks? From your posts you seem to have a low opinion of (or at least doubts about) the Brosal prior to purchase. Yet many people report very satisfactory operation of the Brosal unit, with no fitting issues. I wonder what caused you to have such a differing experience.
What carb are you running now?

It would be interesting to know if these operational observations are indeed the case...and did Edwyn actually use it?
It resds like he took one look and sent it back!
The 2e3 was used in many cars thats not an issue nor does it matter.
The missing anti dieseling valve, and choke heater is a new one (yet I see a choke heater in the pictures of this carb)
It's the first negative comment I've heard.
But then the Brosal hasn't been in the picture till recently imo.

edwyn

Post by edwyn »

Whilst the background of events re this Brosul carburettor should be academic, as the question has been asked -a few more details. I was persuaded to sell my superb Van in 2016 to a friend because I had to work abroad for 12 months. Bought another last August and along with the engine I wanted another Pierburg from Bromyard. He was snowed under and could not help for about 9 weeks. That is simply why I resorted to getting this Brosul from Heritage. Bad mistake and I went back to Bromyard to recondition the Pierburg. Van has been absolutely brilliant to this day. I trust this helps .

Kevin -- channel heater not choke heater

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

edwyn wrote:
Kevin -- channel heater not choke heater
Forgive me but I've not heard this description.
What's that then?
is it the more commonly known throttle body heater?

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

Yes, it's missing the anti-icing heater, but it does have the anti-dieseling valve. If that was also missing on Edwyn's, that's a bit rum.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

ajsimmo wrote:Yes, it's missing the anti-icing heater, but it does have the anti-dieseling valve. If that was also missing on Edwyn's, that's a bit rum.

I would have thought in our climate a throttle body de-icer is irrelevant?