Early to late cooling system on WBX

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

Early to late cooling system on WBX

Post by trundletruc »

Has anyone on this forum changed their cooling system from the early to the later system? I am about to do this and would welcome some advice, particularly about the problems of getting the thicker main tubes through the frames. Obviously the petrol tank will have to be removed to get at them and the hole(s) made bigger. Any ideas how best to do this? Does anything else have to be altered?
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: Early to late cooling system on WBX

Post by captain Byrne »

I did mine a few years ago. You can't get early expansion tanks any more, so when yours goes (and it will) you'll struggle to find a replacement, and any replacement will be very old & probably won't last that long.
Anyway, it's pretty straightforward to swap early to late & all explained here: (scroll to bottom) http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 4#p7899584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only part you may find tricky to find is a late expansion tank retaining bracket. The rest is just a case of fitting a 'H' pipe connector & changing a few hoses. https://www.vwheritage.com/025121438-en ... e-vw-spare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When you refer to the 'thicker main tubes' - I guess you mean the front to rear coolant pipes? You don't need to replace them, just leave them where they are.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

trundletruc

Post by trundletruc »

Thanks for the information Captain Byrne but I think there is a misunderstanding, although my computer will not show the photos! My van has a DG engine and is 1984. It has the 2 main rubber water pipes across the top front of the engine compartment. The thermostat is under the engine at the rear.
I will be changing it for the 1989 cooling system with one of the main rubber water pipes and heater pipe going over the top of the gearbox. The one goes to the thermostat which is on the front top left of the engine. This means I will have to change the front to rear pipes to the later type which are 38mm OD. instead of 32mm OD. What I need is any information anyone has about getting these bigger pipes to fit in?
Thanks all the same.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Change them anyway to the larger bore stainless front to back pipes, buy new engine bay stainless pipes and new hoses, replace heater hoses ... job done once and done right. :ok VERY expensive to do though :pimp

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

trundletruc

Post by trundletruc »

Thanks Ian. I am doing just that although some of the rubber pipes will be from a van I dismantled 7-8 years ago and are in good condition. All the rest will be stainless. Just put in a new radiator. I am a bit worried about getting the larger pipes though the bulkhead at the rear of the petrol tank as there does not seem to be much room for the present pipes and the heater pipes at the moment. Was thinking it might be an idea to divert the heater pipes through the big hole put there for the early air-cooled heater system?
Expensive, but not as expensive as buying a newer T4/5/6 and ending up with a camper that is smaller and not as practical as the T25! Plus the fact that one of those would depreciate whilst the T3 will probably appreciate. Also, as our neighbour said one day, you can buy a lot of petrol for the difference in price!

I tried to attach a photo to show the pipe problem but it says the file is too big. How do you put a photo onto this forum?