2.0l cu air cooled cutting out

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Re: 2.0l cu air cooled cutting out

Post by lefty67 »

Thanks for all your help guys. Managed to get the van moved, disconnecting the auto choke got it off the main road ok :ok
Just waiting on a gasket kit.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

lefty67

Post by lefty67 »

I think I've now found the problem which is causing the air leak. It looks like there should be a core plug at the rear of the carb but it has come out and can't find it lying around the engine.
I have sourced a supplier but don't know what size or type I need to order ie dish or cap. Any ideas? Many thanks.
1.9td AAZ

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,
I've just got back from a break in the Dordogne.

Your missing 'plug' may well be the pointy screw that locks the venturi tube ... :wink:

Pictures will help....

Cordialement,

:ok

cubus
80-90 Mem No: 16525

Post by cubus »

lefty67 wrote:I think I've now found the problem which is causing the air leak. It looks like there should be a core plug at the rear of the carb but it has come out and can't find it lying around the engine.
I have sourced a supplier but don't know what size or type I need to order ie dish or cap. Any ideas? Many thanks.

To me that was the exact problem a few years ago on holidays in France. The signs of the engine stalling, etc. pointed towards a vacuum issue. It did happen before if I had to brake suddenly and forget to press the clutch in time, or the engine had to work hard. That 'shock' sometimes caused the vacuumlines to come loose. At least, that happend often to me. So what happened next: alongside a busy road, shifting all your luggage up front, open the hatch and fix the lines. This time in France that wasn't the case, I found that all the lines were properly attached. It puzzled me. Later that day on a campsite ( after endlessly stalling and starting along the way to it), with the help of a small mirror I saw that a small opening at the rear of the left carb was the cause of all. I put a flat piece of plastics on it and used some tape to fixate and seal it. We had an uneventful vacation ( that is regarding the campervan) afterwards. At home I plugged the hole more structurally and exchanged the tired vacuumhoses with stiff newer ones. My bus had a lot of issues afterwards which resulted in a total engine rebuild, but I had no more vacuumissues.

Rolf
1980 Westfalia 2.0 CU Assuan Brown Poptop

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ma ... uretor.pdf

Is the above parts diagram of any help ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

I found a penny coin stuck over that hole on the back of the left carb on a cu engine I bought , its just below the fuel pipe, near to where the bypass cut off valve screws into.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

lefty67

Post by lefty67 »

Cheers for the replies but have been away this weekend to Ludlow, not quite the dordogne but very pleasant. Cant take a pic as carb is still in situ and cant get camera in behind the carb but definitely same problem as cubus and multisi. Wouldn't surprise me if this had a 1p over It, plenty of other bodges going on.
Cheers for the pic carrera have printed it off for her, might be helpful.
1.9td AAZ