Extreme Cold Weather Start Problem

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Extreme Cold Weather Start Problem

Post by 937carrera »

This is a good thread for you to look at if you missed it

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=163616
Last edited by 937carrera on 22 Mar 2018, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

henryc
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by henryc »

Cheers, digging a bit deeper and with help from James who makes these excellent vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amnqCUSTnUw, we think the springs I mentioned are in fact the problem.

We opened the housing containing the bi-metallic coil. Coil looks good and is in the right position for cold. However, we noticed the springs are not strong enough to pull the hammer / lever into position (the hammer which sits in the coil in the square hole).

There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on no press / one press / two press of the pedal before starting - we've been going with two presses which has been serving us well up to now!

Tomorrow i'll see if there's anything we can do to tighten up that spring, or possibly replacing it.

Thanks again for all the replies, never in a million years did I think owning a T25 meant learning about the inner workings of an automatic choke...

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

henryc wrote:OK bit more investigating today, and feel like I'm making progress.

1. When cold, the choke flap is fully open.
2. The van will start eventually when this flap is open, but will cut out as soon as we touch the gas pedal.
3. We tried depressing the gas pedal once didn't move the choke flap.
4. We tried depressing the gas pedal twice, which also didn't move the choke flap.
5. If we push the choke flap closed, it starts up beautifully.

If you can push the choke flap closed manually, but it doesn't close by itself when the choke is cold, it's possible that the plastic piece that links the choke flap to the choke mechanism is broken or missing. These parts tend to crack and split in two, and then the two halves can fall out completely.

Here's a photo of the underside of the top half of the carb.

If you're missing this part I can supply them for £1 plus £1 postage. Development thread here if you're interested.
Last edited by CJH on 22 Mar 2018, 07:37, edited 4 times in total.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Post by hightop ratty »

Had a similar problem on the week end (which pleased the Mrs no end :roll:

Me explaining it's probably teething trouble after having the new engine fitted didn't quite cut the mustard :roll:
Maybe I should have told her that the van is female after all - so irrational behaviour is normal LOL :rofl

Ours turned over but nothing - it was parky as heck, & haven't driven it in about 2 weeks, so I was putting it down to fuel drain or something. We have a refurbished carb (which was trf onto the new engine), so hoping it's something daft with wiring not connecting on the cold start possibly.

Tried it Monday - later in the day & a lot warmer - started 1st time :-)

henryc
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by henryc »

Quick update: we played around with the spring a little bit, gave it a squirt of wd40 and stood there talking about how we could possibly tighten it. Quickly pulled up the throttle and like magic the spring did it's job and closed the choke flap - it definitely was not before! Tested it a couple more times and it seems good, van starting and running well.

We'll wait for some colder weather before we can say for sure if it's fixed.