WBX gearbox mounts?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

WBX gearbox mounts?

Post by trundletruc »

There appear to be 3 different gearbox mounts for the WBX. (CT/CU/DG - DJ/Automatic - Diesel). I have a 5 speed gearbox (ASM) with my 1.9DG engine at present but will be replacing the engine with a 2.1DJ. Do I need to replace the front gearbox mount to a DJ mount?
In the near future I will be replacing the ASM box with an AAP box off a DJ engine. Do I need to change the mount then?
What is the difference between the mounts, is it the difference in length of the gearboxes or the position of the engine/gearbox, or the strength of the mounting?
If someone can tell me it will save a bit of a struggle when I come to install the engine!
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: WBX gearbox mounts?

Post by itchyfeet »

The DG and DJ are dimensionally the same so no need to change the gearbox mount.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

trundletruc

Post by trundletruc »

Thanks again Itchy feet, that means putting the DJ engine in should be straight-forward.
However, I am curious about the different mountings. If the lengths of the DG & DJ engine are the same, if must be the gearbox length that is different? If that is the case which gearboxes are different?
The reason I am asking this is that I propose to put in an AAP gearbox eventually which was specific to the 2.1 DJ. Presumably I will have to use the other gearbox mounting then.
If this is the case the parts providers ought to mention the gearbox codes instead of the engines in their catalogues?

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The gearbox bracket ie the one that bolts on to the gearbox determines the length when changing from 4 to 5 speed, or petrol to diesel.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

look at the VW catalogue not parts providers catalogue

http://www.realoem.me/Volkswagen/RDW/T2 ... /399/48000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its the same one for 1.9/2.1 wbx and petrol 5 speed boxes.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

the size of the rubber mount is determined due to the weight and angle of the installed engine and transmission and the torque that the engine provides so the 2.1 has a bigger rubber than the 1.9 because it has more torque which in particular causes more angular rotation of the gearbox especially when you pull away but also every time you change gear, accelerate and decelerate, the diesel engine is heavier and has relatively more torque so has the biggest rubber, the auto box is heavy so has a bigger rubber, the 1.9 petrol has the smaller rubber because it has the least torque relative to revs; the mount is damping vibes being transmitted to the body and resisting rotation of the gearbox relative to the engine crankshaft and flywheel, and force from the combustion, and movement due to drive; remember for every force there is an equal and opposite reaction, the engine is rotating in one direction, in a wbx the combustion forces are side to side on a diesel angled up and down, the engine is driving the gearbox and the transmission is applying perpendicular rotation force to the wheels to push the van forwards (or backwards when in reverse) so there is a lot going on and the gearing magnifies some of the forces so in the lower gears there will be more loads in some places, at higher speeds there will be more loads in other places.
as long as it is in good condition then you'd be okay reusing the 1.9 rubber with a 2.1, you'll find lots of 2.1 engine vans with the smaller mount because the engine was changed but the gearbox wasn't, but most 30 year old mounts will be delaminating due to age, use and corrosion so if fitting a new one then go for the bigger one

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

itchyfeet wrote:look at the VW catalogue not parts providers catalogue

http://www.realoem.me/Volkswagen/RDW/T2 ... /399/48000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its the same one for 1.9/2.1 wbx and petrol 5 speed boxes.

ash yes I should have read my own link :oops:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

trundletruc

Post by trundletruc »

Great! Thanks all of you.
I do have a 2.1 gearbox mounting so I will fit it after I have put the (new) engine in.

Whilst I am under there does Aidan have any suggestions where a direct earth wire from the starter motor can be attached in order to reduce the electrolysis on the gearbox case?

Thanks for your help all of you - this forum is super.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

As Aidan says the mounts are frequently delaminated .. ours was perished so I swapped it to the Powerflex one from Mr Baxter's emporium ...

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/d ... tings.html

It shows the size difference nicely. Oh and knocking the original bushes out is a RIGHT barsteward of a job (unless you happen to have a 20T press at work) :wink:

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure