Oil filter housing

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bootie3367
80-90 Mem No: 10560

Oil filter housing

Post by bootie3367 »

Back in the summer I had a leak from the base of the housing, new gasket and sealer bought and applied, problem was I got a bit ham handed when screwing in the oil pressure sensor, consequently stripping the thread inside! :oops:

Patched up with a bit of sealer, enough to get me back home from Scotland and has been left as other more lucrative job offers came up.

Today I decided to replace that housing with a spare I had. After removing the turbo oil feed pipe adapter from the top aperture I found out it is not an M10 which I thought it would be. The spare housing only has 2 M10 apertures. I'm not au fait with threads but the adapter I took out looks to be something like a JIC or NPT,it's a bigger diameter and coarser thread. Is that normal or do I have a frankenstien creation?

It's a 1.6 JX TD engine and normally would post pics but as you all know photobucket won't allow it, or will it now.

Basically do I have to go searching for another adaptor m10 to whatever the thread is for the oil feed pipe or will I have to get a new oil feed pipe?

Could somebody tell me what is supposed to be there in terms of standard fit please?

Cheers
Jon

PS I posted on the facebook page with pics in case anyone want's to have a look at what I'm wittering on about.
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Re: Oil filter housing

Post by dave friday »

My guess is that your replacement oil filter stand is for a non turbo engine! Does an oil sender fit both holes?
Don't Panic!
Baz.
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

bootie3367

Post by bootie3367 »

Aye, can get an m10 in both top and bottom. If I could get an adapter I would be laughing.
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

dave friday

Post by dave friday »

What I did ( to the golf filter stand ) was to drill and tap the top sender hole!

bootie3367

Post by bootie3367 »

Tapped out to what thread Baz?
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

dave friday

Post by dave friday »

Was a few years ago..I just found a die that fitted the feed pipe adaptor thingy and found a tap the same size!
Doing it made a lot of swarf....
You could borrow my old JX oil filter stand...
I'm only the other side of the mountain !!

bootie3367

Post by bootie3367 »

Aye, it might come to that, quite limited in the taps and dies selection but will have a look today.

Obviously I'll let you know.

Thanks for the offer

Jon

(this is all to do with the supposed enhanced ITV where they are supposed to be extra vigilant with things like oil leaks. It was just a weep and I could have probably got away with it, quick wipe down with a rag prior to entering the shed sort of thing, but I wanted to stop it weeping anyway. Never easy wit these old girls is it?!?!?!?)
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

dave friday

Post by dave friday »

What about a " Timesert" kit for the stripped thread,or " JB weld" the t piece in place?

bootie3367

Post by bootie3367 »

I was thinking about the 'JB weld' method but worried about clogging up the feed and not getting a viable pressure reading.
Timeserts, do they have the wire across the end? would that not also restrict the flow?

The main problem is having to do this in situ when the housing has been torqued down, which then means a PITA if you have to take it off again.

No I think I will have to either tap out the M10 hole (somehow, I don't have that size of tap) or pop over and get your old one.
Regarding that, off the top of your head, can you remember if the three securing bolts were the same length or were two shorter than the other?

I'm just sizing up a house painting job that has to be completed by end of month, apart from that I could make it to yours possibly tomorrow?

Jon
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

dave friday

Post by dave friday »

All I know about "Timesert" is that they are a sleeve.Helecoil have a tang that you snap off after you've wound it in.
The three bolts are the same length.
Will pm you about visit.