Small coolent leek

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Small coolent leek

Post by sarahandthebear »

we have had a slow leek on our 1.9 dg 1984 westfalia petrol for a while now which is not much of a suprize as we have only owned her for 7 months and have been working our way though pips and hoses seeing which need replacing. The other day I noticed a small puddle under the van so me and Sarah crawled under to where Sarah found the leek. The leek is coming from one of the big coolent hoses from underneath. The house in question if you look into the engine bay there are two large hoses behind the carb it's on the from pt hose undernieth just behind the gearbox. There was a droplet just sitting there so I wiped it away and saw a small black plug to which the coolent is seeping from and I'm not entirely sure what this is. We are loosing very little coolent so it's not really a worry we were just wandering what it was. Hope that was not to confusing if it is I'll try and explain better :ok
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Re: Small coolent leek

Post by crazyhorse »

sarahandthebear wrote:we have had a slow leek on our 1.9 dg 1984 westfalia petrol for a while now which is not much of a suprize as we have only owned her for 7 months and have been working our way though pips and hoses seeing which need replacing. The other day I noticed a small puddle under the van so me and Sarah crawled under to where Sarah found the leek. The leek is coming from one of the big coolent hoses from underneath. The house in question if you look into the engine bay there are two large hoses behind the carb it's on the from pt hose undernieth just behind the gearbox. There was a droplet just sitting there so I wiped it away and saw a small black plug to which the coolent is seeping from and I'm not entirely sure what this is. We are loosing very little coolent so it's not really a worry we were just wandering what it was. Hope that was not to confusing if it is I'll try and explain better :ok

Picture is better than a 1000 words, if you can get one up of leak and general area, got to love these vans, mine is driping oil
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

sarahandthebear wrote: The leek is coming from one of the big coolent hoses from underneath. The house in question if you look into the engine bay there are two large hoses behind the carb it's on the from pt hose undernieth just behind the gearbox. There was a droplet just sitting there so I wiped it away and saw a small black plug to which the coolent is seeping from and I'm not entirely sure what this is.

Junction ..

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... ystem.html

Hoses are bottom row here ..

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... m.html?p=3

and top row here ..

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... m.html?p=4

It may only be a small leak now but these things can develop VERY quickly when you least expect or want them to.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

We get ours from the local market. :D

The leek is coming from one of the big coolent hoses from underneath
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

R0B wrote:We get ours from the local market. :D

The leek is coming from one of the big coolent hoses from underneath

*sniggers*
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Where's the water sprouting from? (bad veg reference alert)
Honorary "Dave" 

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

Sir Brixalot wrote:Where's the water sprouting from? (bad veg reference alert)

The house in question if you look into the engine bay there are two large hoses behind the carb it's on the from pt hose undernieth just behind the gearbox.

I took this *ahem* 'information' to mean the main hoses and housing which I linked to. Basically though your guess is as good as mine.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Post by lodgey62 »

Get it sorted quick.It WILL only get worse.
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)