engine cutting out

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Rodney Hopalong
80-90 Mem No: 16369

engine cutting out

Post by Rodney Hopalong »

Hello all had a problem this morning on way to work driving 1985 1.9dg it started to cut out at junctions then cut out completely but it started again and would tick over and die. It would start and you could rev it but if you held a steady rev it would die you had to keep feathering the throttle to stop it dying. I presume this is a carb problem so any advice on where to start the van hasn't been used much in last 3 months Thanks.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: engine cutting out

Post by kevtherev »

That reads like you have a blocked idle jet.
Or a malfunctioning anti dieseling valve (idle speed cut off valve).

After you have checked that the valve works and if needed cleaned the float bowl/idle jet.
Change the fuel filter.

Rotting fuel lines can block an idle jet
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Rodney Hopalong

Thanks will do

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Rodney Hopalong wrote:Hello all had a problem this morning on way to work

was the engine cold, could be a choke problem in this weather
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Rodney Hopalong

No engine was up to temperature it was ticking over before I Left house and the problems developed after about five minutes driving. On the question of inline fuel filters how many should I have I have one in engine bay and one under van. Thanks

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

And now its cold again does it do the same thing?
5 mins choke may be off but it may not be hot
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Sounds like the problem I had last year ie perished vacuum hoses. On my engine there are four short bits of hose that connect to the carb via a plastic four way connector. A sufficient length of hose is about £2. To check if this is the problem, follow the advice I was given by Mocki. Start the engine, then spray some WD40 along the vacuum hoses. If the engine revs increase the hose is perished and needs replacing. Good luck and let us know how things go.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

If fuel pump wasn't the strongest to start with, theres a good chance over those three months that the diaphram inside is not what it was and pump can no longer keep up with fuel demand from the engine. Theres a lot to be said for electric pumps (reason why I changed to one) as it ensures fuel line is always primed. Wise to check carb, but worth checking that fuel delivery from pump is strong and consistent. I was plagued with your symptoms and whilst I could have replaced the mechanical fuel pump, I opted for an electric one as price was about the same.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Rodney Hopalong

I changed the fuel filter under van it was black then took cover off and sprayed carb with carb cleaner while revving. The carb was fairly dirty looking black oily deposits that seemed to be coming from tube from airbox it was wet with oily like substance.I sprayed around the carb with carb cleaner and didnt find any vacum leaks it seems to be running alright now I wont really know until I get on the road which could be a few days as I have to replace all the front ball joints and bearings and waiting on parts the snow has delayed things so hopefully I will be lucky and wont have to take carb apart.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Just mind that none of your fuel hoses are breaking down internally. They're a prime candidate for engine fires.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Rodney Hopalong

Yes I will change hoses ASAP, The problem seems to have gone the carb cleaner may have helped I took van out of garage today and did 60 miles of a good hard drive and no problems even had it up to 65mph it runs out of steam at that point I think it should be a little faster but i could be wrong.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

You should have ONE fuel filter and NOT in the engine bay.

Replace all fuel hoses and lose the extra filter.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Rodney Hopalong wrote:Yes I will change hoses ASAP, The problem seems to have gone the carb cleaner may have helped I took van out of garage today and did 60 miles of a good hard drive and no problems even had it up to 65mph it runs out of steam at that point I think it should be a little faster but i could be wrong.
Change the vacuum hoses anyway. My problem went away briefly but came back. It takes 5 minutes to change those short hoses and for £2 for a length of hose it's a no brainer and it's one less problem to worry about for the next few years. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :ok