Fuel won't flow!!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Fuel won't flow!!

Post by CovKid »

Actually I like both mechanical and electric pumps. Despite having switched to electric, I retain the original pump in its original position so it didn't feel rejected. I just plugged up the pipes.

The mechanical pump which owes its ancestry to the bug and could at one time be completely stripped down and new gaskets etc fitted, is now a sealed job, thanks to Mexico's tendency to produce cheaper pump units in the 1980s. After that, sealed pumps became the norm. When it dies, you have to replace entire pump instead of 80p or whatever it was for new internals.

I tend to favour electric pumps as it helps to a large extent with fuel run-back. I became fed up with having to lift engine hatch, and tip fuel down carb to get it running if vehicle had been sat for weeks. Its not always convenient. That said, if entire line dries up with an electric pump, say after running out of fuel, you have to initially prime the short section between tank and pump or pump will be sucking air.

For me though its that reassuring change in sound from the electric pump that tells me carb float chamber is full again and I can start. Also helps if you need to drain the tank into fuel containers for any reason.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.