Smokey 1.7KY Engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Smokey 1.7KY Engine

Post by The Hairy Camper »

Please delete or move if this is in the wrong place.

Recently had my 1.7KY Engine Serviced, New Cambelt, Replacement (2nd Hand) Exhaust put on etc.

Noticed it kicks out a lot of dark smoke which hasn't shifted after a 100+ miles being done.
Is it worth putting a fuel additive in when I next fill up?

Asked my mechanic what he thought and he said just don't put cheap fuel in. Which I don't do already.

Cheers
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Re: Smokey 1.7KY Engine

Post by sarahandthebear »

After 100+ miles what is your oil level like not sure about the cheap fuel I personally have not heard of that but someone on here will definitely know :ok
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by muttleypup »

By dark do you mean blackish? Is so then it's unburnt/partially burnt fuel. Since it's just had cambelt changed it's possible that the injector pump timing is out ask mechanic to re-check it. Also worth having a look at the air intake side (filter and hoses) to check that there are no restrictions/collapsed hoses
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Post by The Hairy Camper »

muttleypup wrote:By dark do you mean blackish? Is so then it's unburnt/partially burnt fuel. Since it's just had cambelt changed it's possible that the injector pump timing is out ask mechanic to re-check it. Also worth having a look at the air intake side (filter and hoses) to check that there are no restrictions/collapsed hoses

Thanks muttleypup, yes it's a blackish smoke. Last mechanic i used is turning out to be pretty useless but i will ask the mechanic who does my car to have a look. Will the black smoke create more emissions and fail the emissions test on the MOT?
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by muttleypup »

I would think if it's that excessive under load then yes it would probably fail just on a basic 'smoke test' but that aside something obviously isn't right after the recent work and if the air intake side is ok I would have someone check the pump timing
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y