changed rocker arms and no compressions

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby Citizen Smith » 05 Feb 2018, 07:42

This post/thread concerns me too!
I am not sure if this is a simple pushrod/rocker/adjustable tappet job or whether there are hydraulic tappets confusing the issue but I see two scenarios:

First case - locking nut loosens and adjuster unscrews causing tappet noise to increase with little effect other than a loss of power in affected cylinder - more likelly. Whether the nut gets caught up somewhere is another matter... Or the adjuster by some fluke of bad luck manages to gradually tighten causing valve to get jacked down into contact with piston with disastrous consequences - most unlikely though.

Second case- hydraulics. Not sure but I guess some variants on the above would be possible.

However I would be suspicious of the proposition of a £3K rebuild without a very detailed report on damage together with an itemised estimate/quote on parts and labour. (£3K plus is approaching the amount I have set aside for a complete engine rebuild)

Any compression test figures available?

CS
Never was so much paid to so many for doing so little - CS 1941- ?

2.1 WBX High Top
User avatar
Citizen Smith
 
Posts: 1774
Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 06:49
Location: Hertfordshire
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby tinakersting » 05 Feb 2018, 09:52

Citizen Smith wrote:This post/thread concerns me too!
I am not sure if this is a simple pushrod/rocker/adjustable tappet job or whether there are hydraulic tappets confusing the issue but I see two scenarios:

First case - locking nut loosens and adjuster unscrews causing tappet noise to increase with little effect other than a loss of power in affected cylinder - more likelly. Whether the nut gets caught up somewhere is another matter... Or the adjuster by some fluke of bad luck manages to gradually tighten causing valve to get jacked down into contact with piston with disastrous consequences - most unlikely though.

Second case- hydraulics. Not sure but I guess some variants on the above would be possible.

However I would be suspicious of the proposition of a £3K rebuild without a very detailed report on damage together with an itemised estimate/quote on parts and labour. (£3K plus is approaching the amount I have set aside for a complete engine rebuild)

Any compression test figures available?

CS
The garage say they don't know what damage has been done or what the reason for no compression is hence they would have to start stripping back to find out we have decided to get it to a vw specialist for a report and hope to take it to camper shack later in the year thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
tinakersting
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jan 2018, 17:19
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby SuffolkCamperVanHire » 05 Feb 2018, 10:18

Hi,

How far are you away from Ipswich? £3k for an engine rebuild sounds a lot. Especially as it was running before you dropped it off. It sounds like they don't know what they are doing.

I hire and restore just VW T.25's drop me an email if I can help as I see this all too often unfortunately.

Regards,

Mark.
SuffolkCamperVanHire
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Dec 2013, 14:14
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby tinakersting » 05 Feb 2018, 11:35

SuffolkCamperVanHire wrote:Hi,

How far are you away from Ipswich? £3k for an engine rebuild sounds a lot. Especially as it was running before you dropped it off. It sounds like they don't know what they are doing.

I hire and restore just VW T.25's drop me an email if I can help as I see this all too often unfortunately.

Regards,

Mark.
Hello Mark
Thanks for contacting us could we bring our camper to you as soon as possible? The other garage want it out of their way as we aren't commuting to a rebuild with them, Joan has emailed you
Cheers Tina

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
tinakersting
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jan 2018, 17:19
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby ajsimmo » 06 Feb 2018, 08:10

£3k isn't actually a lot for a full rebuild, it's about right without new heads, £3.5k with. (The parts alone can be well over £2k.)
The point is there's no evidence in the description of events that suggests you need a rebuild. Your engine is repairable, and probably a straightforward job at that. I'm sorry we can't fit you in, as I'm intrigued and would have loved to have got to the bottom of exactly what has happened to the engine (both up to, and after the breakdown!). Thankfully, it sounds like you're now in good hands.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - Just T3s
WBX Rebuilds, Upgrades & Engine conversions
User avatar
ajsimmo
Trader
 
Posts: 1186
Joined: 23 Mar 2009, 14:06
Location: Grantham, Lincs
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby tinakersting » 06 Feb 2018, 15:35

ajsimmo wrote:£3k isn't actually a lot for a full rebuild, it's about right without new heads, £3.5k with. (The parts alone can be well over £2k.)
The point is there's no evidence in the description of events that suggests you need a rebuild. Your engine is repairable, and probably a straightforward job at that. I'm sorry we can't fit you in, as I'm intrigued and would have loved to have got to the bottom of exactly what has happened to the engine (both up to, and after the breakdown!). Thankfully, it sounds like you're now in good hands.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
I wish you had the time too lol we have flatbedded our van to the roadside outside our house garage wanted 300£ in labour didn't even put the spark plugs back in so 400£ down since the breakdown (80£) in flatbed fees and even more broken down than when we started!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
tinakersting
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jan 2018, 17:19
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby MGP » 06 Feb 2018, 15:43

Where abouts are you? I may be able to come and take a look for you.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk
MGP
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 11 Sep 2014, 21:50
Location: Dunmow
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby 937carrera » 06 Feb 2018, 15:44

tinakersting wrote:garage wanted 300£ in labour didn't even put the spark plugs back in !


:( Unfortunately as I expected, how many hours was that for ?

Please let us know what the actual problem was when Suffolk Campers have fixed it
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine
User avatar
937carrera
 
Posts: 164
Joined: 05 Apr 2015, 19:29
Location: N Yorks.
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby tinakersting » 06 Feb 2018, 17:09

937carrera wrote:
tinakersting wrote:garage wanted 300£ in labour didn't even put the spark plugs back in !


:( Unfortunately as I expected, how many hours was that for ?

Please let us know what the actual problem was when Suffolk Campers have fixed it
They reckon two mechanics spent a total of 12 hours "adjusting" the rockers on one side that's all!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
tinakersting
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jan 2018, 17:19
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby tinakersting » 06 Feb 2018, 17:11

MGP wrote:Where abouts are you? I may be able to come and take a look for you.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
We are in Norwich mpg Thorpe st Andrew are you a mechanic who specialises in t25s?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
tinakersting
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jan 2018, 17:19
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby tinakersting » 06 Feb 2018, 17:21

937carrera wrote:
tinakersting wrote:garage wanted 300£ in labour didn't even put the spark plugs back in !


:( Unfortunately as I expected, how many hours was that for ?

Please let us know what the actual problem was when Suffolk Campers have fixed it
You were right indeed but how can I dispute labour costs with a garrage, I'm obliged to settle their bill if I want my van back. Although personally I'd be bored stiff stareing at a set of rocker arms for six hours with my fellow mechanic.
I will keep folks posted as our story unfolds oh psychic sir...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
tinakersting
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jan 2018, 17:19
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby MGP » 06 Feb 2018, 18:37

I'm a mobile mechanic and I know my way around these vans fairly well.
Website here: www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk
if you use Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dubsonthefritz/
Feel free to call me 07771874431 if you want to discuss anything

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk
MGP
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 11 Sep 2014, 21:50
Location: Dunmow
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby R0B » 06 Feb 2018, 18:43

Your website does not seem to be working fella.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle
User avatar
R0B
Moderator
 
Posts: 15156
Joined: 07 Oct 2005, 17:33
Location: Cheshire
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby 937carrera » 06 Feb 2018, 19:07

12 man hours for adjusting one side, wow. :roll:
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine
User avatar
937carrera
 
Posts: 164
Joined: 05 Apr 2015, 19:29
Location: N Yorks.
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: changed rocker arms and no compressions

Postby MGP » 06 Feb 2018, 19:30

R0B wrote:Your website does not seem to be working fella.
Wasn't sure which bit of the internet to hit with me hammer but I think I got it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk
MGP
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 11 Sep 2014, 21:50
Location: Dunmow
80-90 Mem No: 13910

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests