Fuel tank question

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fuel tank question

Post by muttleypup »

Is there an internal filter/strainer in the fuel tank near the outlet that could get blocked? Did some work on fuel system at the weekend and when I disconnect at the tank i get no fuel running out, though truck drives ok so fuel is being pumped. Don't think it's a vent pipe issue as it's the same with the fuel cap off.
Wondering if it's new tank time or nothing of major concern.
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Fuel tank question

Post by AngeloEvs »

if there is fuel it should drain, there is no internal filter as such (as far as I am aware) only an external one close to the outlet normally. How full was the tank and was the van jacked up in a such a way that fuel was not able to drain?
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

Tank is about half full, wasn't jacked up but drive slopes slightly/truck sitting sloping backwards so should have drained I'd have thought? Tried a small 12V compressor on the outlet and with the fuel cap off air can be heard bubbling in tank but still no fuel out. Odd because it starts/drives absolutely fine but it is bugging me now!

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I would try pushing something of a smaller diameter into the fuel outlet pipe and repeating. It is strange that it runs fine but if the tank is half full it should drain.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

I did poke a thin screwdriver in about 4/5 inches, made no difference. Didn't want to poke too far as I wasnt sure if there was anything inside the tank that could be damaged. It is a strange one as it primed up on a hand primer with no issue and runs 'as normal'. I'll have another look at it later this week but any suggestions are welcome.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

The last heater that I fitted (petrol) was exactly the same - fuel in the tank but no fuel ran out other than a little spillage when I fitted the tee-piece at the tank spigot. It had no adverse effect on fuel flow to either the engine or the heater.
I remember a cutaway photo was put up on the forum a while ago but can't find it now. Found it - http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... e#p8144461

This explains how the fuel doesn't flow when the tank is low.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

Fantastic! Thanks for finding/posting that, puts my mind at rest, or at least slows it down a bit :)